w. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 413 shoulder strap

In 1916 the enlisted men and officer's of some newly formed Saxon and Württemberg Abwehrdivisionen (Nrs. 201-204) were authorized to wear the letters (abbreviated) of their associated location on their shoulder straps. As Drake says, Infanterie Regiment Stuttgart (Nr.413) used the letters "St" on their shoulder straps. Infanterie Regiment Ulm (Nr.414) wore a "U". There were a few more letters used for other units within the divisions. There is a list in Kraus, vol.I, page 253.

Super photo!

Chip

Not only is a number clear but this is something I have never seen before. Congratulations and great photo! :bravo:

joerookery said:
Not only is a number clear but this is something I have never seen before. Congratulations and great photo! :bravo:

Thanks Joe. The photographer didn't let us down on this occasion.

An amateur question about the 414th regiment:

It is possible that this shoulder board belongs to this regiment or this is something totally different? It is on a dark blue waffenrock with red collars and piping and Brandenburg cuffs with yellow buttons.

01247.jpg

The 414th was created during the war, so I don't know of any reason that an officer's board from the regiment would be on a Dunkelblau coat. And...having been created when it was (post September 21, 1915) it would have had white underlay on the officer's boards. Frankly, this board is of a width that makes it seem like a prewar board, rather than the wider wartime versions. I'm stumped on this one.

Chip

Chip: Ok it's sounds logical. The piece came from a theater however it seems unmodified (except the lost other shoulder board).

But what can it be?

I've very little knowledge about the Imperial German militaria so I would be grateful for any help.

My guess is that it is an artillery officer's board. I can see where another device was attached above the top pip on this very crowded shoulder board. I don't have access to my reference today, but the red underlay would make sense with artillery and I'm relatively sure there was a unit with this number. What it is doing on an infantry tunic I don't know, but such shops and theaters are notorious for mixing and matching with their costumes.

Chip

Back