Wanted: advice on replica Schuppenkette

Jaap Verduijn

Greetings all! I'd like some advice on where to buy a replica flat brass Mannschaft Schuppenkette for Knopf 91. After I became poor and had to sell my first collection of real Pickelhaubes and then became rich and subsequently poor again had to sell my second collection I could, in order to remain free from terrible withdrawal symptoms :D, only afford a replica: the Prussian Mannschaft M95 in the picture. I'd like to pimp it up a bit, with a Schuppenkette. Since replica stuff is all about make-believe anyway, this would turn it into an imagined pre-1913 K.I.R 145. Sure, in real life that would have to have a removable spike that's interchangeable with a parade bush, but you can't see that from the outside of the spike anyway so that doesn't bother me.

The real issue is: where to get a decent replica flat brass Mannschaft Schuppenkette for Knopf 91? Would anybody have a useful suggestion for an online shop that sells these things? I've found a few shops, but the pictures they post don't give a clear impression, and eBay seems to sell the most godawful kind of stuff that makes my scrotum wrinkle - if you'll forgive me the expression. Intersting informtion would be: are the ends that go on the Knöpfe 1 mm thick or 3 mm? If the latter, do they deliver replacement buttons to go with the Kette? That sort of things. I'd like to have your suggestions... not where to put it, but where to buy it :D

Thanks in advance!

replica2.jpg

Age of Kings sells repo chinscales and there is a Polish company that sells every single piece of a pickelhaube as repo.

I have delt with both and have been happy.

Thanks mate! Age of Kings is rather expensive... their Schuppenkette costs more than I payed for the whole helmet (grin)! Would you by any chance have the url or name of that Polish company? Thanks!

This may be the same company that "pickelhauben" is talking about:

http://spikehelmets.pl/english/products/helmet-parts/chinscales.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regardless, you may want to look there. They are generally inexpensive but you have to contact them for prices. They use galvano technology on their Wappens and cockades so it is pretty easy to tell that those items are repro. I have never bought anything from them, but some of my friends have, so I don't know about their chinscales.

John :)

Jaap if you "pimp it out" with chinscales it will be incorrect unless you want to represent it as Train Abtl. It is in the correct configuration for an M1895 Infanterie the way it is now.

Hi Tony! Thanks mate! But... didn't the Königs I.R. 145 keep wearing (flat) chin scales in garrison after 1891/1895, only wearing chin straps in the field? As far as I know they wore chin scales with the Linien Adler until 1913, after which they wore chin scales with the Guard Grenadier Adler.

But... you know a lot, a LOT more than I do... so when you say so it is so (grin)! By the way... if I pimped it up as Train Abt. the chin scales should be rounded, shouldn't they?

In my first thread after arriving on this forum I wrote how much how I appreciated your site in the days when I was a real collector, and how much I loved good Kaiser, the best known dog in the militaria collectors world! We all miss him!

Be well!

Back