Wanted - Shoulder Straps

flasheart

Guys,

I am looking for:

1. a pair of M1915 shoulder straps for 22nd Pioneer Battalion (Saxon). I think they should be black straps with red piping and a red '22'

2. a pair of Bavarian Infantry Leutnant subdued 1915 pattern shoulder straps

You picked some rare straps to look for Mike. PB 12 and 22 were the only two Btlns to carry the crossed pick and shovel. They are quite rare, and very desirable for strap collectors.

PB12.jpg

Tony,

Thanks, I fully expected that if I absolutely needed to find it, it would be the rarest, most sought after and almost impossible to find item - Murphy's Law of Collecting. However, with a little bit of patience, I figure that I will eventually find them.

Mike

That reminds me, I actually need three sets of shoulder boards:

1. a pair of M1915 EM shoulder straps for 22nd Pioneer Battalion (Saxon). I think they should be black straps with red piping and a red '22'

2. a pair of Bavarian Infantry Leutnant subdued 1915 pattern shoulder boards

3. a pair of M1907 EM shoulder straps for Leib-Grenadier Regiment König Friedrich Wilhelm III Nr.8.

Should be a no-brainer. Everybody has some of these lying around the house. Don't they?

Mike

Hello Mike,
Usually Mark is on stuff like this. Here is a picture of what you are looking for. It belongs to the museum that I volunteer at. It is one that was donated by the vets of the local regiment. Hopefully the picture will show okay.
SB2.jpg

Cheers,
Cliff

Cliff, Thanks for the great photo. I have probably set myself 'Mission Impossible' to find pairs of these shoulder straps, but I will keep trying.

Mike

A couple ( cant remember which) came from a scap book kept by the HQ section they were aquired for intel reason's . The pages were kept in Regiment's CO's filling cabinet with a box of other stuff like routine order's for our unit during Passhendale , and WW2 Battles as well Ortona and our advance through Arnhem etc.
There is a Gaurds boed out of the pic it is to the 3rd Gaurd's Genadier's if Memory serves me , but it is pre war.
Good Luck
Mark

Tony & Kaiser said:
PB 12 and 22 were the only two Btlns to carry the crossed pick and shovel.

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would correct this statement, should anyone read this at a later date. There were actually quite a few more Saxon pioneer units that wore the crossed pick and shovel. Though the 12th and the 22nd were the prewar parent units, Saxony formed other battalions and independent companies during the war. Here are my M15 examples of the aforementioned battalion straps as well as one from the 44th Battalion.

To complicate the chances of getting a pair from one of these units is the fact that the straps came in a right and a left.

Chip

Here's another example of a Saxon pioneer unit with the crossed pick and shovel. This time, it's a company level unit.

Chip

Back