Wanted: Württemberg M15 Helmet

I guess the huge order for thousands of helmets in the waryear 1915 must have asked some creativity from the makers.

For instance this helmet , also a Biberach like the one from Brian , it looks perfectly normal but actually it is a blackened felt dome.

110.jpg

114.jpg

116.jpg

Spiker said:
this is a fake

fake-n.jpg

Why? I am not so sure :-k The thickness of the base remembers me the particular spike bases mounted on different patterns of steel Ersatz-helmets...

Philippe
:wink:

:-s
Here is the fake ball version. Just look at is Philippe .
They are regularly for sale by French e-bayers.

fake-news.jpg

Okay, if you say it :oops:
I must admit that I never look to ebay auctions that are only selling parts to complete a helmet. I am just looking for complete and untouched helmets.

I must say that the patina of those fake spikes and balls are very impressive and dangerous....Properly mounted on some authentic Ersatz war time helmets missing a spike or a ball, this could be a challenge to detect it. There are so many patterns of spikes and balls on such wartime helmets...

Philippe
:wink:

It takes just a few minutes to make metal look old , just heat it up with a flame and dump it in water , it will immediately turn to rust , oeps :oops: … hope I’m not giving some fakers new ideas …

Yap Ed that is the fake one.

I got it from the French buyer as well. He is still selling it regularly for about USD169+

The spike would be easy enough to identify as a fake if you were looking closely, but the Kugel ball would be difficult. Other than the sharp edges on the locking ring I'm not certain that I could identify it as a fake.
Are these made of heavier metal than the originals?
What are some other identification characteristics?
Sometimes brass fakes are identified by the vent holes. On some British copies the vent holes look punched out rather than machined. Are there any special machine marks on any of these M15 fakes?

John :eek: :? :eek: :?

[/quote]
Dang - Spiker- that looks like the one I had. Can't recall if it was marked or not.
[/quote]

Do you still have a picture ? should be easy to see with those marks on the visor.

I sold it back in the days before everyone had a camera in their phone (other than Dick Tracy), in the mid 70's. I did have some photos of stuff but no idea what happened to them. Let see when I sold it the helmet would have been a little over 50 years old and that was about 50 years ago.

Boy this sure got way off of the subject.
I got one of these repo arty spike from a French dealer as well .
The bump on the neck is a little wider than a regular spike neck.
But I do have an ORIGINAL that has a wide one as well.
The real give away is actually the base itself
Is has sharp cut just like an officer type spike base.
A standard m-15 spike base has been rolled .
Scroll up the Baden and look at the spike base sitting on the helmet, then scroll up to the repo .
You can see how sharp it is .

aicusv said:
I sold it back in the days before everyone had a camera in their phone (other than Dick Tracy), in the mid 70's. I did have some photos of stuff but no idea what happened to them. Let see when I sold it the helmet would have been a little over 50 years old and that was about 50 years ago.

So you sold it 50 years ago :-? :D no wonder you can’t recall if it was marked , I can’t even remember which of those helmets in my collection right now are marked.

Heck, I can't even remember what all I've forgotten. At this point I have forgotten more than I remember.

Back