Wappen fixation <- quick question

morel5000

Hi,

can the wappen also be fixed with split pens soldered onto the emblem and bent through the holes of the haube?
(Instead of 'loops and leather straps' or 'screws and bolts'.)

The spike is fixed with screws. The helmet is from a reserve officer.

Thanks,
Michel

Hi Francis,

pictures as asked:

Best regards,
Michel

40086459.jpg

14975069.jpg

0pngp3.jpg

It would be very informative if you could post some pics of the back of the wappen when removed from the helmet.

Regards,

Edwin

can the wappen also be fixed with split pens soldered onto the emblem and bent through the holes of the haube?
(Instead of 'loops and leather straps' or 'screws and bolts'.)

Yes. I think the general feel is that these were some sort of wartime models and often have extremely thin wappen. this is from one of my helmets.
prongs.jpg

left.jpg

More pictures here
http://www.pickelhauben.net/pickelhaube/Engineer.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no way I would endeavor to take these pins and try to remove the wappen.

There is no way I would endeavor to take these pins and try to remove the wappen.

I bow to the opnion of the experts :notworthy: because Joe is indeed right; its always very easy to damage a delicate pickelhaube.

Regards :wave:

Edwin

The split prongs on officer / private purchase helmet wappen are totally legitimate. My JR119 private purchase helme for example has them and I have seen a number of Prussian officer wappen with the same soldered prong arrangement. There are also original officer star studs with prongs instead of the usual screw post. I would tend to agree that these prongs are associated with mid to late war helmets. So no worries concerning these.

Back