Wappen Loop

garlanj

Morning all.
I’ve just bought a new wappen that is in great condition EXCEPT for the fact that one retaining loop is broken off. The loop was provided with the wappen but obviously needs to be reattached.
Does anybody have any tips on how to do this without it looking terrible (bright solder etc)? I’m assuming it can be soldered?
Was the original solder pure lead (ie no tin) or is it just the againg process that gives it that matt grey look?
Any help most gratefully accepted.
All the best
Jeremy

Solder will oxidize with age. I'm not sure how the plates may have been treated post the loop soldering (how they cleaned them up before putting them on the helmet), but if they chemically cleaned the plates, it may have effected it. I believe that on some of the M'15 plates, the "greying" would have to been done after the loops had been added. If you intend to repair the loop, I would just solder it back on and let nature take its course. Any artificial attempt to hide the repair may have negative effects later on.

I agree, the M15 wappen or spines were soldered first then the finish was applied. Regarding this loop issue, use a dremel tool to remove all oxidization-from the old solder. Apply flux to the legs of the loop place in position, apply heat using a small butane torch. The old solder should melt around the feet of the loop. To age the now shiny solder apply gun bluing liquid. Several coats will give you 100 years of oxidization. T. Schnurr also advocated removing old solder but being much lazier than he, I have had much success just cleaning off the oxidization, making it clean once again. Mr Schnurr however, is an expert at soldering. On my last visit I had him resolder the square nut on the inside of a spike neck. For some reason, he refused to let me watch the process leaving me, to continue drinking his rye whiskey. One drink later, he returned with the nut back in place, I thanked him and poured another whiskey. What else could I do? :D

PS: For some reason I find that when I visit Festung Schnurr, I drink too much. When this covid shit storm is over I hope to be able to visit Das Bunker once again! :thumb up:

Couldn’t agree more - it’s been a long 4 months!
Quick question about the solder, must it be a butane torch or is an old school soldering iron good enough?

garlanj said:
Couldn’t agree more - it’s been a long 4 months!
Quick question about the solder, must it be a butane torch or is an old school soldering iron good enough?

I use both. The mini-torch (that turns a lighter into a tiny torch) is very efficient but can tarnish the front if used improperly. A soldering iron is slower but more predictable. So both tools are very suitable based on what you are doing.

Slow and predictable suits me just fine. Thanks for all you guidance gents.
I’ll post some pics when I’m eventually done - it’s an OR haube from JR 74 dated 1899 on the rear peak. As far as I can tell everything is original down to the chinstrap and cockades. Wappen came with a missing leg :( but I’d also just got one with a Waterloo bandeau from another source (broken lug) so that’s handy
All the best

Back