Wartime Hussar NCO H R 8 or 9

IMO the banner was painted for Feldgrau .
One place on the banner has a small place where the paint was kicked
the banner appears to have been made of brass
I do not think the banner is iron
the small buckles on the chin strap are of the same grey color
the kolpack seems to be made into the sides
I do not plan to try and remove it
The helmet comes from an old USA collector going back to the 1950's and 1960's
It was shown in Eric J.'s book in the 1970's
SteveView attachment 43479View attachment 43480
This is an excellent find. [Me gasping for air]. Thank you! Have you been able to feel how the cage is made??
Come on...in The Netherlands "Cavalerie Museum" they do show the visitors how a Dutch busby is composed...So?...
...[oh my...these Dutchmen...]. Note the clean shave. [Joke...What you see is the thick leather body. The fur top layer has a much thinner leather skin]

Attachments

• 20220818_103654.jpg
    20220818_103654.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220818_103722.jpg
    20220818_103722.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 20220818_103715.jpg
    20220818_103715.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Also arrived today
A really neat wartime Hussar for an NCO
I have not seen another like it
H R 8 or H R 9
Blue Kolpack
so not sure which regiment
more photos later
over the years the Feldzeichen was corrected
SteveView attachment 43474hView attachment 43476
I love it, ultrarare and beautiful, But I wouldn’t dare purchasing it, … looks almost too good to be true, especially the fieldgrey fabric, does it look old enough in real life…

I love it, ultrarare and beautiful, But I wouldn’t dare purchasing it, … looks almost too good to be true, especially the fieldgrey fabric, does it look old enough in real life…
I agree and IF I didn't know it's history I would feel the same .Here is what I know .
The helmet dates to an old collection in the 1950's .It was shown in Dr. Eric J.'s book in the 1970's
It is one in the same helmet .I also know the last collector who owned it .
So it is a given that it has lasted over 75 years in the same condition .Why not a little longer ?
Even in the 50's ; 60's and into the early 1970's what we collect today had little value
I can't see 100 years ago to make up something that would sell for next to nothing
All I can do as a collector is to go with my feelings about a piece once I have it in hand
That is the history as I know it
SteveH R 8 wartime text.jpg

This is an excellent find. [Me gasping for air]. Thank you! Have you been able to feel how the cage is made??
Come on...in The Netherlands "Cavalerie Museum" they do show the visitors how a Dutch busby is composed...So?...
...[oh my...these Dutchmen...].
Francis
No way for me to tell
Those are great photos
Thanks
Steve

Francis
No way for me to tell
Those are great photos
Thanks
Steve
My pleasure. A Dutch forum member will try to mail me a picture of the Museum captions list that goes with the numbered parts of these poor, slaughtered busbies. I will share!

Steve, I'm not saying it's a reproduction but being a collector it's always good to be aware of all the possibilities we need to consider.

They were making theatrical costumes since before the USA even entered the war.

Remember Hearts of the World with Lilian Gish from 1918?

I also know a lot of original items came out of the big Costume Houses in CA. I remember seeing tables full of original uniforms with costume house tags and some GREAT original helmets that were used as props in old films.

Just some food for thought, being old doesn't make anything real but its passes at least one step of the processes we all use when trying to Authenticate a possible piece for our respective collections.

It's a dangerous minefield full of reproductions and fakes some old and some new made by master craftsmen looking to take our money :cry:

Steve, I'm not saying it's a reproduction but being a collector it's always good to be aware of all the possibilities we need to consider.

They were making theatrical costumes since before the USA even entered the war.

Remember Hearts of the World with Lilian Gish from 1918?

I also know a lot of original items came out of the big Costume Houses in CA. I remember seeing tables full of original uniforms with costume house tags and some GREAT original helmets that were used as props in old films.

Just some food for thought, being old doesn't make anything real but its passes at least one step of the processes we all use when trying to Authenticate a possible piece for our respective collections.

It's a dangerous minefield full of reproductions and fakes some old and some new made by master craftsmen looking to take our money :cry:
I remember all of the original uniforms and I G hats from Calif movies
I had a freind Mike Parker who would go over to this shop for me out there
I don't remember the name of the shop
but the owner was Bob Reise
Mike got me lots of good hats out of that shop
Steve

Back