Waterloo minenwerfer officer

On this topic „Totenkopf, Minenwerfer Kompanie“ came across the Thies auction catalog from the 49. auction 2012 again.
Here the helmet of a „Oberleutnant Schoenfeld“ was auctioned for 3.600 Euros.
The skull is highlighted here three times! On the helmet case, on the helmet cover and on the eagle.
The eagle is without a „Vaterlandsbandeau“ , which indicates that Schoenfeld is a reserve officer.
Onca again, the question arises whether it was customary for some „MW-Kompanien“ to adopt the skull and crossbones!
It has always been a sensitive topic of discussion in the history of German „Uniformkunde“, intensified bey the emergence of „real pieces“, since there are apparently no regulations for this…..

Perhaps Glenn can prove the reserve status or biography of „Oberleutnant Schoenfeld“ to add a bit of credibility to the ensemble!

Frank

The photos will be uploaded here in a few minutes!

Something absolutely new to me as even after 40+ years of collecting these helmets.

A one of a kind helmet !! It will be hard to find a second one in this condition and with the name tag still inside

I have checked through the officers with the name of either Schoenfeld or Schönfeld bother active and reserve/landwehr. The name is less common than I had supposed. However, I cannot find a suitable candidate in the rank range Leutnant/Oberleutnant in the infantry with any service connection to 9. Infanterie-Division. To hold the rank of Oberleutnant at wars end, he would have had to be in almost every case already a Leutnant in 1914. I have discounted the Pioneer officers of that name given the gold fittings of the helmet.

Regards
Glenn

One point that seems to be consistently overlooked when a “MW-Kompanie”helmet appears, is that the Totenkopf is a Braunschweig Eigetumsstück (private purchase) Totenkopf.

This was the tradition badge of Braunschweig. Note the photo below of an original. Head-on skull, perfectly shaped nose bones, over crossed femurs.

Tradition badges were taken very seriously. It makes no sense that Braunschweig would allow other units to use it.

01803C53-DE4E-4BA7-8223-514A9DED0427.jpeg

As it seems once again and also already guessed, we have to do here again with a sophisticated craft!:oops:
That on the subject of skull „MW-Kompanie“!
Best regard
Frank

Back