Web sight

Hey Russ--
Congrats on your site.

I do want to add that PayPal doesn't allow you to pass on a fee to the buyers. While this is common on forums, and among those who maintain that they are not dealers, I do believe you could quickly find yourself banned from using PayPal.

First, I wouldn't put PayPal on your front page. I'd suggest you create a "payment" terms page. I'd also suggest you offer a discount for cash transfers, money orders, etc.

Second, PayPal has canceled its services with some dealers -- notably Bill Shea of The Ruptured Duck. So again, I'd suggest you downplay that PayPal is a means of payment on the front page.

Third, PayPal cannot be used for the sale or other transaction of firearms. This is also against the user agreement. I believe, if I've read the user agreement correctly that even gun parts (but not holsters, cases, etc.) are not allowed.

I say this as a collector, but I am also a journalist and I cover e-commerce. PayPal has issued warnings to seller of collectibles beyond militaria (baseball cards, antiques, etc.) that adding 4% fees is against the user agreement.

I should also note that these added fees for credit cards, which are higher than bank transfer are there because ALL credit card companies charge vendors those same fees. So any store for example pays fees, and the credit card companies generally don't allow said fees to be passed on either.

Just my two cents.
PS

Hey Russ,
I am glad to see that you followed Peter's advice and got rid of the paypal bit, paypal can be bad news if you sell anythig related to firearms, as they can freeze your account if they think you have violated their user agreement.
Best wihses
Gus

Peter and Gus

This is a new learning experiance for me. I will get that off of there this weekend. Thanks for all of the comments. They are a help.

Hey Gus

It is still snowing here. We still have over 10 feet at work. Shure wish I could send it all east of here. I am going to go to the next Boise gun show...

Russ :-x :-x

Hey Russ--
No problem on the advice. I hope I didn't come off as too harsh.

Good luck with the site. If you do plan on doing a lot of volume, you could look into taking credit cards. The fees are a little high, but this is a legit tax deduction as a business expense.

Cheers,
Peter

Hey Peter,
You can not be too harsh when giving that kind of advice, there have been some real nightmares with paypal, another thing one needs to think of is the "chargeback". I have a friend that sold several thousand dollars worth of antique bank notes, and six months later, he was notified by paypal that they did a chargeback for the whole amount as the credit card was reported stollen. He had not recourse. The lesson here is, if you are going to accept a credit card payment (and paypal is often such a payment) you need to be sure you know the buyer.
Gus

Dang, I will probably be planting corn at that time, but I will keep in touch, it would be great to be able to get together.
Gus

Back