Webley-Fosbery Model 1901 Automatic Revolver

Lost Skeleton

In recent years, my interests have shifted to collecting items that are researchable. For the most part, this means British campaign medals and medal groups, which come with some provenance. I have experienced a great deal of success using Ancestry, Find My Past, The National Archives, The London Gazette, and the Royal Air Force Museum's Story Vault. It all begins with a name, a soldier number, or a unit.

I was elated to add this rare revolver to my Webley collection — especially as it is personalized — and thought I would present it as an interactive exhibit. All you need to know is that the engraving identifies the revolver as the property of H(enry) T(oke) Munn of the 38th I(mperial) Y(eomanry). Now, Google the name. I think you will find the results interesting.

Munn1_zpsqohnkehs.jpg

Munn2_zpsthsdhpiq.jpg

Munn3_zpsmx3c0bus.jpg

Munn4_zpskpi2stb5.jpg

These are very cool revolvers. I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's a few weeks ago and learned the hard way that you should always have the hammer cocked or at half cock when closing the action. My friend was very shocked when the revolver discharged when I closed the action, he said he had never had that happen before, I have to say that I prefer premature discharges to delayed ones, but any discharge that happens when the trigger is not pulled is not a good thing.

Gustaf said:
These are very cool revolvers. I had the opportunity to shoot a friend's a few weeks ago and learned the hard way that you should always have the hammer cocked or at half cock when closing the action. My friend was very shocked when the revolver discharged when I closed the action, he said he had never had that happen before, I have to say that I prefer premature discharges to delayed ones, but any discharge that happens when the trigger is not pulled is not a good thing.
Yikes! What ammo were you using - reloads?

ebeeby said:
Gustaf said:
Yikes! What ammo were you using - reloads?

Yes, I think they were, the primers were good quality. The offending primer had a very slight dimple in it. I am not sure if there was a problem with the mechanism, as the hammer rested full forward, most revolvers I have handled the hammer rebounds and the pin does not protrude beyond the backplate. Looking at Charles' revolver, it does not do so either, so I suspect my friend's has a defect.

I will post additional photos when I return from OVMS Wilmington, Gus. In the meantime, these are first editions of two of Munn's literary efforts:

Munn5_zpsy6aiadnq.jpg

Chas

Very nice find. The Imperial Yeomanry was a volunteer cavalry unit that saw service in the Second Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902), so I wonder if the revolver was used at all in South Africa? Members of the unit of course took part in the First World War.

Did you find anything at the OVMS show? I was there for a bit on Friday and found it to be a tad disappointing, but a month after MAX the bar was raised very high.

Congrats Chas and thanks for posting such a unique and personal weapon. It is so cool for a collector, to be able to track down the provenance of a piece in his/her collection. See you at the SOS.

Peter_Suciu said:
The Imperial Yeomanry was a volunteer cavalry unit that saw service in the Second Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902), so I wonder if the revolver was used at all in South Africa?
I believe it was, Peter. Munn went to South Africa as a Sergeant with the 65th Company (Leicestershire) of the 17th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry. He was mentioned in despatches dated 8th March 1901. On 16th July 1901, he was wounded at Mapondera's Kraal. Munn's promotion to Lieutenant was gazetted on 16th October 1901. Transferred to the Third Contingent 38th Battalion, he was promoted Captain on 27th March 1902. Given the engraving on the revolver, I suspect Munn purchased the Webley-Fosbery to commemorate his promotion. The war ended on the final day of May; therefore, he had ample time to use it in action. Munn received the Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps, SOUTH AFRICA 1901, CAPE COLONY, ORANGE FREE STATE, and RHODESIA.

When I have a moment, I will contact Richard Milner Ltd. in the UK. Mr. Milner is archivist of the surviving Webley & Scott records, and it may be possible to trace the exact date Munn's revolver was purchased.

As for Wilmington — it was a bit of a bust. I did, however, purchase a killer Span Am/China Relief Expedition medal group to acting assistant surgeon Robert Stanberry Linn. A Detroiter, Linn was a member of the Michigan Naval Brigade and served as an ordinary seaman aboard U.S.S. Yosemite in 1898. In 1900, Linn went to Tientsin as a civilian doctor with "C" Company, 9th Infantry Regiment. Before returning to the U.S., Linn spent several months with the army in Loquilocon, Philippines. He received the West Indies Naval Campaign (Sampson) Medal and Military Order of the Dragon.

Chas

Back