What do we think - real or not? 5th Garde Regt Officer

Bungo

Not sure if that gilding looks perfect, or if it looks like tin!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pickelhaube-fur-Offiziere-des-5-Garde-Regiment-zu-Fus-Preusen-mit-Helm-Koffer-/390673682706?pt=Militaria&hash=item5af5f75112&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The eagle, guard star, spike & base are all silver (not gilding), and those parts all look fine to me.

The photos are sort of crummy, since they are letting the natural lighting in from the window behind the helmet. It makes it hard to see the real color of things.

Chinscales are zinc, from what I can judge from the photos, and they have lost all of their gilt finish. That would be typical, as this is a wartime manufactured helmet.

I can't quite make out if the officer stars on the spike base are gilt or silver. My eyes think they are silver, which would be wrong for 5th guard reg't of foot.

The eagle still has the very nice "frosted" or "frosting" look to it, as it would have when it was new.

Guard star is wartime manufacture, as it has the silver painted background ring instead of an enamel ring behind the "Suum Quique" cut-out motto. I have a couple that are similar.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the helmet from initial view of the photos, other than if the spike base officer stars are actually silver, or if they are gilt in color as mentioned above.

All the Best,

Alan

Back