What do you think about the stamps?

Sandmann

Hello all,
what do you think about the stamps of this helmet M1867?
The year 1869 is good readable, but what about the stamp under the year, could it mean “OIR91“? Are there Oldenburg helmets with an “O“ for „Oldenburgisches“ before the “IR“?
Thank you in advance for any opinion.

Hi Sandy,
According to the excellent list of Kammerstempel on Pickelhauben.net (https://pickelhauben.net/kammerstempel-infantry/) the OIR 91 stamp is normal, however I have to say I don't like the stamps of the helmet on Ebay; e.g. the date stamp looks unevenly spaced, the "6" and "9" look different from what I've seen before, the size of the stamp seems small. I would not be surprised if the stamps were added at a later date.
Regards,
Lars

So much of the date stamp is missing which makes it look uneven.

If you really look at it and fill in the missing width and length in your head I think it looks ok with what is left.

If someone is taking the time to create such an effect on a helmet in this condition, man we are all in trouble :cry:

Hi Lars, thank you for the tip. I know this list but complete forgot it 😶‍🌫️
I don’t like the helmet too, because it’s unfortunately rubbish. The visors are glued and the few seams are not original and very poorly stiched. But I don’t think that the stamps are faked. The helmet is 100% old and a M1867, so the year 1869 is most likely correct. Concerning the OIR91, it seems to be placed under the year stamp, that’s why a later addition would be very hard to fake.
In my eyes the big problem would be finding an Oldenburg eagle M1867.

Back