What does the B mean?

joerookery

B%20Collar.jpg

I don't suppose there is any information on the back of the photo. Can we see the entire picture?

Thanks,
Chip

Chip Minx said:
I don't suppose there is any information on the back of the photo.
My GAWD you don't know what that is? Chip! You are the guy I turn to the most for answers! Your knowledge never fails to astound me; this must be an unusual photo indeed?

I thought if anyone would know, it would be you. I flipped through dozens of refs and came up empty. I wonder what it is?

Tony,

The closest I could come was finding the "B" on the collar of Bavarian Landsturm tunics, but it was much smaller and used in association with corps and battalion numbers. It could not be that anyway, because of the cyphered shoulder strap. Unfortunately, I cannot quite make out what regiment it is. Any chance of a blown up picture of the shoulder strap?

Chip

Well, I'm probably way off, but I've just spent 45 minutes flipping back and forth between the photo and Tony's pages of shoulderstraps. Because of the angle of the strap in the photo it's awfully hard to tell, but due to the little curly parts down at the bottom there are several regiments it could NOT be.

I'm probably wrong, but it looks to me that the only choices that come anywhere close to looking like the leading edge of the cypher and type of crown in this photo, are..........

6. Thüringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.95

Kgl. Sächs. 1. (Leib-)Grenadier-Regiment Nr.100

Kgl.Sächs. Garde-Reiter-Regiment (1. Schweres Regiment) Nr.9

Dragoner-Regiment König Albert von Sachsen (Ostpreußisches ) Nr.10

Well Liongules, I have examples of all of these straps that you mention and I can say with relative surety that it is not the 95th (too much curl to the bottom loops) though that was my first guess, not the 100th (bottom loops are smaller than in the photo), not the Garde Reiter Rgt. (same reason as the 100th) and not the 10.Dragoner Rgt. (again, bottom loops are smaller). So, the big question is, if it is not any of those, what is it? You know I would tell you if I knew, but after collecting these for over 40 years, I gotta admit that this one is stumping me. I'm still hoping for a larger scan or some word about the back. Joe......?

Chip

Chip,

Well, like I said right off, I'm probably wrong! :D

I don't have any straps to look at so I was looking at the color plates on Tony & Kaiser's web site and shifting back and forth, back and forth, squinting, cussing, etc., etc. and that was the best I could come up with. I fully admit I'm not qualified to speak here and I was only taking some guesses.

The problem, at least to my eye, is the cypher appears to be very, very narrow in the middle, but it doesn't seem to fit any of the L cyphers. It seems to have a rather broad, curly, bottom, but all of the cyphers I see are then too fat at the top to be this one. The crown is kind of funny, too. :?

Mike,

I agree with your observations and they don't match up to anything. It might be that the tunic is a private purchase (or an issue one with an "improved" collar) and therefore the strap is a custom piece that might vary somewhat from an issue cypher. I have seen some pretty odd representations of cyphers on custom pieces.

Chip

keoki,

I have never seen a Beamte indicated by such an insignia. As with the rest of the army, the shoulder straps gave most of the information about an official. Other than shoulder insignia, collar Litzen and a few sleeve patches, there was not much other insignia worn on a wartime uniform. Besides, the straps on this tunic are not Beamten examples. An Unterbeamte would have Tresse around the edges and the higher ranks wore silver or gold cords, like army officers. These straps have neither.

Chip

Other fellow seems to have ,this may be my bad eyes but the seated fellow has a feldgrau medical trade badge.Would the B indicate a medic or stretcher bear type?

zipperheads9 said:
Other fellow seems to have ,this may be my bad eyes but the seated fellow has a feldgrau medical trade badge.Would the B indicate a medic or stretcher bear type?
Good guess Mark, but one would expect it to be a "T" for Träger.
Gus

Would it be another trade? or section designation .I know that the Germans use mostly number designates .
Mark G.

Tart said:
zipperheads9 said:
Good guess Mark, but one would expect it to be a "T" for Träger.
Gus

I always said, and nobody believed in me. Gus is an alien. He ended for robbing/possess the body of Maggie... :eek: :cry:
Otto

Can't we all just get along? :pottytrain2: :sad5:
Gus just get the heck outta that closet .leave the sheep and bears alone .
Otto well be Otto.
Wait a minute Gus can spie on the ladies Oh No.

zipperheads9 said:
Can't we all just get along? :pottytrain2: :sad5:
Gus just get the heck outta that closet .leave the sheep and bears alone .
Otto well be Otto.
Wait a minute Gus can spie on the ladies Oh No.

YES!!! He can...
Otto :twisted:

Back