what in heaven's name?

08/15

Finally found something that might stump even you old-timers. Take a look at the pickelhaube at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pickelhaube-Polizei-unbekannt_W0QQitemZ110008584924QQihZ001QQcategoryZ8845QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this a super-rare Guard pickelhaube? Or is it a Mardi Gras accessory? Or a prop for a high-school play? Or what?

Yep, looking at the birthday list, I am the oldest on the forum by a few months. Not the wisest, nor good looking, but definitely the most senile. :-? Corky

Looking at this helmet a second time, I noticed the eagle is clutching a laurel branch and arrows. In the Great Seal of the United States, thirteen laurel leaves, thirteen berries, and thirteen arrows represent the original colonies. It is impossible from the eBay pictures to count these, but is anyone aware of other countries incorporating these symbols of war and peace in a national emblem? Despite this similarity to U.S. heraldry, the eagle inexplicably wears a crown. The Kokarden appear to be variations on red, silver (white), and blue. There also appears to be lettering on the star.

Anyone feel like pressing the seller for details?

Chas.

Hey Guys,

I had asked for better pics of the helmet and the seller just listed them on the auction. The center star states "RETRORSUM NUNQUAM" which translates to "Never Retreat".

I found this on the web.....The Corps Hannovera Göttingen ... so perhaps it's a school 'cap' ????

What are the colors of Hannover ?

The Corps Hannovera Göttingen is one of the oldest German Student Corps, a Studentenverbindung or student corporation founded 18 January 1809 at the Georg August University of Göttingen. The name was chosen because the founders had their home residences in the Kingdom of Hanover. As a corps it is a founder (1848) and member of the Kösener Senioren-Convents-Verband (KSCV), which unites some of the oldest German student corporations.

Hannovera commits itself still in our times to the principels of academic fencing. The members wear couleur (cap and ribbon) on official events. Hannoveras motto is in latin Nunquam retrorsum, fortes adiuvat fortuna! (engl: Never backward, the luck is with the brave).

The most famous member of Hannovera was Otto von Bismarck, who probably had the "wildest" time of his life during his studies at Göttingen university, where he - due to his behavior - had to live outside the town walls and became arrested for ten days in the university jail (in German: Karzer) too.

Other famous members were the leader of the liberal opposition in the Reichstag, Rudolf von Bennigsen and the German economist Wilhelm Roscher.

Also..... The motto NUMQUAM RETRORSUM is still on one of the colors of the 92nd regiment (Brunswick).

Cheers
Maark

What are the colors of Hannover ?
I have done some work on Hannover. A kingdom that was eliminated and absorbed into Prussia after the 1866 war. This was never completely accepted by a group of Hannoverians. There was an opposition group in the Reichstag that supported the old king of Hannover and was very anti- nationalistic. The real purpose of annexing Hannover was to connect the eastern and western portions of Prussia. Surprisingly, the major states of Europe stood by and accepted this annexation. This postcard below shows the colors of Hannover and is propaganda about the release of Hannover from Prussian domination.

hannover.jpg

I don't know if this is from the Hannoverians student group, Chas certainly has an interesting point. The more you look at this helmet, the more interesting it looks.

Well boys

Ulan9 was the winner.... along with that horrid wurt generals helmet that he also won...

Can't wait to see what they end up becoming ...

Cheers
Mark

Has ulan9 become reus11?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pickelhaube-Casque_W0QQitemZ220023893206QQihZ012QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back