What is a Zweigbataillon?

chrispaulodale

I see that the insignia for members of a Zweigbataillon was a red or yellow band at the bottom of the shoulder strap. Can anyone explain what exactly a Zweigbataillon is? And why only one or two men in photos have the award not whole units?
See this nice photo of a Marine Infantry Vizefeldwebel in Kiel, 1913 from the Joe Robinson collection.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Zweigbataillon.jpg
    Zweigbataillon.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 22
I see that the insignia for members of a Zweigbataillon was a red or yellow band at the bottom of the shoulder strap. Can anyone explain what exactly a Zweigbataillon is? And why only one or two men in photos have the award not whole units?
See this nice photo of a Marine Infantry Vizefeldwebel in Kiel, 1913 from the Joe Robinson collection.
Any help is appreciated.
Cheers
Chris
Do you have Mike Kelso 's book on shoulder straps ?
If not you can order a thumb drive from him
the book is sold out
Here is my Dragoon Regt 10 strapD R 10 s.JPG
Steve

Thanks for the information and photos. Yes, i was aware of the lehr batt connection to the shoulder straps. I’ll show you what’s confusing me.
This is from ‘die deutschen marinen 1818-1918’ by noeske and stefanski on verlag militaria. See it’s mentioning Zweigbataillon, that’s what i don’t understand.
Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
Chris,

it was a pre-war definition to name those battalions formed on mobilisation and the cord would differentiate between those of the original peacetime battalion and those of the newly formed Zweig, literally branch or off-shoot battalion which would utilise the same number. In practice when WW1 came along, the newly formed battalions were numbered incrementally so Zweigbataillone was not a term used.

Regards
Glenn

Hi Glenn,
Thanks for that, it's making a bit more sense to me now. So to clarify, is it saying that regular members of the I. SB serving in a Zweig unit wore the yellow band, and members of the II. SB in a Zweig unit wore the red band?
Cheers
Chris

Chris,

the uniform regulations of 1896 only dealt with the yellow cord and state:

"For the newly formed battalions at mobilization (Zweigbataillone), a yellow wool cord, 7cm long and 0.5cm wide......" with no distinction between battalions.

However, on page 757 of Kapitän Noeske's book, he states:

According to the order of the Reichs-Marine-Amt of 3 March 1909, the cord for a IV., V. and VI. Zweigbataillon would be red (those for I. to III. yellow).

Regards
Glenn

Back