What is the Smallest Size Pickelhaube Known??

Konigstiger

I have been searching for this answer after picking up a Saxon M15 Pickelhaube with a Size 35 Liner?! Any Information out there on Small helmets? I read that small Pickelhauben could have been used at NCO schools?? What about child musicians???

Do you mean size 53? This is possible, although on the small size. Is the size marked, or did you just measure it?

Hi, I assumed that the stamp '35' on the inside bottom of helmet towards front was the size, but after thinking about it, that obviously can't be the size. I measured and, while there is some warping to the shell and liner, it is about 52cm. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I have photos of young boys in the Cadet Schools, and they are wearing standard quality Waffenrock and Pickelhaube, but they are very young boys, they seems to be around 10 to 12 years old (?)

but they are very young boys,

ps779 by joerookery, on Flickr

As far as I know there never was a pickelhaube for a Voranstalt. You did not get one until you went to the senior school. Is it possible that those pictures are for something else? The NCO preparation school??

Is it possible that those pictures are for something else? The NCO preparation school??

Students at the NCO preparatory schools did not wear an helmet either. Perhaps Tony's boys were military students as the Grosses Militär-Waisenhaus (military orphanage) in Potsdam who did wear the standard infantry helmet??

Regards
Glenn

These little lads are from the Grosses Militär-Waisenhaus zu Potsdam. This is a pre 1897 photograph and in fact the pattern of collar changed after 1900 with the Tress being placed on the lower edge. The Militärschüler at the orphanage which were the senior boys of around fourteen and half wore the Pickelhaube.

Regards
Glenn

waisenhaus.jpg

A general remark, which might be helpful. In metrical Europa all sizes of hats are always measured by the contour of a head. S 35 means that the hat is meant for a head with a contour of 35 cm. This is quite an extraordinary small size, even for a child of 10-12 years old.
Being a hat wearer for years, equipped with a rather small head, I always have to buy in the hat shops the smallest size available for adults, S 52 or S 54. A lower size than S 52 is not or hardly available. So, it might be possible that this helmet looks smaller than you are used to and the "35" has notihng to do with the size?

The smallest size that I have encountered (multiple times) is 54cm the largest...60cm. The most common 57 or 58 cm. The highest regimentally numbered helmet that I have seen is JR233 which I own at present. It is Prussian and very small in size. I have a hat stretcher in it as I write this, size of the stretcher 6 7/8.

b.loree said:
The smallest size that I have encountered (multiple times) is 54cm the largest...60cm. The most common 57 or 58 cm. The highest regimentally numbered helmet that I have seen is JR233 which I own at present. It is Prussian and very small in size. I have a hat stretcher in it as I write this, size of the stretcher 6 7/8.
Amen. :D

In my first collection during the 1980's I had a Prussian line infantry M1895 size 52. That's the smallest size I've ever seen/had - but of course there may have been even smaller specimens.

Tony without Kaiser said:
I have photos of young boys in the Cadet Schools, and they are wearing standard quality Waffenrock and Pickelhaube, but they are very young boys, they seems to be around 10 to 12 years old (?)

Is Kevin Spacey in the photo?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I have a Bavarian Krätzchen marked 53--but it almost fits my 56 bean as well as a repro I wear. I'd expect it to be more shrunk over the century if anything, but guess it could be sized wrong or stretched at some point.

Back