What is this?German,English,French?

Rendsburg

Hi Guys,
With the permission of the photo's owner, I'm posting these pictures. What is this, and made where?
Otto

Otto
These are German, used by snipers, I believe they would crawl out into "No Man's Land" and set up the shield, the rifle fits thru the slot.

Geo

Yes that sound right, but as the war progressed, often the sniper would set the shield up and fire from another possition, as the shield would draw fire.
Gus

I think these are more properly called a trench shield, as they were very common and although they could be used by a sniper, they were more often used to reinforce trenches. They are more like portable firing loops to be used by anyone. Much easier to set one of these up than it would be to construct a firing loop. I have a nice photo showing them being used. Click on the thumbnail below.

Chip

Try this URL for the picture. If it doesn't work, blame Rendsburg! :roll: Click on the image to see an enlargement.

Chip

Hi Chip, It works!
But you can try. When the photo is uploaded, go to the first line under the photo, click on right in the mouse, copy, pass to the body of the message and submit.
Otto

Back