What is this medal?

joerookery

Can someone help me identify this medal or nationality of this individual? Thanks.
medal_1.jpg

medal_2.jpg

Nice pic, I am unsure of the proper title or class, but I believe that is the Bavarian Military Merit Cross. By the looks of the hilt, he appears to have a S1914 Gottscho as a sidearm. They were made specifically for Bavaria & Wurttemberg. My vote: He's Bavarian. Bayernisch!

What year did the Germans start using leggings?

Goerge,
I believe the mountian troops used wrap leggings before the war, the reason the infantry used the Marsch Stiefeln was because of the wet environment, the leather high topped boot could be waxed or oiled to make it water proof so they worked like a rubber boot for marching through the country side, when they started trench warfare, they found this type of boot was prone to gather stones and dirt in the wide tops, I have seen a photo where a soldier has pulled his trousers over the top of his boots to keep the debris out of his boot. On a side note, this is how you can tell a real cowboy from a dimestore cowboy (aloso know as a goat roper) only a dimestore cowboy will tuck his pants into his boots.
Gus

Bavarian War Merit Cross 3rd class with crown and swords. 1866-1918
"Militär-Verdienstkreuz des Militär Verdienst Orden 3. Klasse with der Krone und Schwertern"

Actually rarely bestowed upon other ranks with the crown. Maybe this guy was some Duke's illegitimate child... :?

Cheers!

Frank

Back