What on earth is this?

Found this odd cap on Rask Antik, (not familiar with them). I’ve never seen anything even shaped like this before. Anyone have some insight. I’m guessing it’s just an old straw hat someone stuck an imperial cockade on. I think the cockade is on the chin strap maybe?

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_4503.png
    IMG_4503.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 48
It is just a straw hat that someone put an Imperial cockade on. Over the years I've seen Imperial cockades on dozens of sun helmets... often U.S. Model 1887/89 helmets, French M31 helmets, and even Italian helmets. Take a $10 cockade and a $200 American helmet and you have a "rare" Imperial German helmet priced at $2000!

Have to say, it's pretty neat looking but don't think it would offer much protection from the hot sun 💥

As Peter has mentioned, there are quite a few ridiculous “colonial helmets” out there on the market. Some are quite convincing and interesting. Others are utterly laughable. I have collected pictures over the last few years and I figure this is a good place to share them.

Cheers
Jay

The first one has been on the market for years and years without a buyer. If it’s real I’ve never seen any period photos of anything like it. The second is a helmet sold at auction for around $1250 including premium. It is clearly fake but was likely copied using inspiration from the first.

Attachments

• IMG_5022.jpeg
    IMG_5022.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5023.jpeg
    IMG_5023.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5019.png
    IMG_5019.png
    702.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5017.png
    IMG_5017.png