Who Am I?

Wyliecoyote

Greetings All!

Does anybody have any idea who this fellow is? Not dated, but is from a studio in Brussels.

6173806580_c03a132843_b.jpg

He is armed with a Gewehr 88/05 rifle, and S71 bayonet.

6176460082_ccb1c28f66_b.jpg

6176460036_66b6a0e685_b.jpg

That is weird. He is wearing a postal Schirmmütze. See the little eagle Wappen where a Reich's Kokarde would be? But he is armed. How dangerous was mail delivery back then? :-k

Can't remember where I read it, possibly Johan Somers, but there were Letter carriers posted at the front. This fellow is a Postal Service man! Talk about your going postal!

Just a thought gentlemen; who distributed Feldpost, regular military or people like this guy?
Since Feldpost covered dangerous combat zones and frontlines, this could be the reason post men like the guy in question were armed? :-k
In ancient times, postmen were heavily armed horsemen (the equivalent of DHL or FedEx today) or camelmen (First Class Mail :) ).

Tony nailed it, this fellow is 100% Postal, just found a photo with a fellow sorting mail, same exact uniform.

Thanks Tony! And thank you too Robert, I had thought this came up before, as Brett brought that to my attention, but was not able to find the thread.

His name is Wilhelm Schmitt, These uniforms will be covered in Johan's next book.
Gus

Here's one I picked up recently, standing in front of a letter case.

6221791254_06631ce7ed_b.jpg

Could the armed fellow perhaps be a Bahnpost employee?

Tony without Kaiser said:
That is weird. He is wearing a postal Schirmmütze. See the little eagle Wappen where a Reich's Kokarde would be? But he is armed. How dangerous was mail delivery back then? :-k

Something else is wierd T. Below is a photo of a Postal schirmmutze. The hat is the same as in the photo at the beginning of the thread. Except on the hat band. In the original photo, the orange stripe in the band, where the cockade is placed, is between two bllue(?) stripes. On the postal schirmmutze below, it is two orange stripes with the central stripe being blue where the cockade is positioned. On this postal schirmmutze the piping is orange. The piping in the original photo appears to be dark, perhaps blue?

Does anyone have any info on Bahnpost postal schirmmutzen?

6246957269_d3ea578e5f_z.jpg
6247536477_e4150742b7_z.jpg

An additional photo of a second postal schirmutze with suble differences of the other example in color. The blue is a lighter shade, and on the center band, the central horizontal stripe appears to be black instead of dark blue. TThere is more to these postal hats than one would expect.

6247920417_5568457b2f_z.jpg

Back