Who can ID these German and captured canons?

Anthony Charles

Hi. As I was listing some of my WWI German photo collection to sell I came across the attached photos below and wondered if anyone can help me identify the guns.

PHOTO:
W3137: The reverse says in handwriting "Deutsche Russenkanonen" and the guy in the ball-top artillery helmet has a captured Moisen Nagant Russian rifle. Is this gun Russian and if so who can ID it??

W3138, Reverse says in old German handwriting: "Alte franz. 9 cm Kanon " Who can ID this one?

W3139. Front says captured French canon. Can anyone ID this. Looks to me a lot like the ones downtown Verdun nowadays at the top of those steps. Looks like no modern recoil mechanism on this baby. It must really jump when they fire it.

W3140. Is this some kind of German howitzer. What is the correct nomenclature?

W3141. How about this one?

W3142. What do you call this piece of artillery equipment? Does it have a nomenclatuere? Would it normally be associated/used with any specific piece of field artillery?

Thanks.

I'm going through and inventorying, numbering and scanning my photo collection..so if you have any specific wants now is the time to ask me. I'll send you separate listings and photo scans according to your wants. Contact me with your wants at [email protected]. I have plenty of references if you want them. SFC T. Meldahl US Army (ret)

Go here. He has images of the artillery pieces that fired each of the shell casings.

Its a great read and you should find your guns.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Tony; You can also go to Ralph Lovett's Artillery web site. Lots of photos and information on WW1 German kanone and howitzer!

Back