Who/what is the guy in the Fez?

The men in between seem to be Bulgarian.

Maybe its him again, trying a new fashion :D

bmuetze_2.jpg

I think he`s just picked up some local headgear to look "cool" 8)

Note the kids in the photo wearing the same kind of hat. I`m guessing from the Bulgarians in the photo that this is in Macedonia?

I have seen a couple of photos of Germans wearing the fez or Turksih headgear before... can`t think where right now...

Cheers
Chris

My first thought on the fellow with the fez was he was Turkish, but is is custom for Turkish men to wear a wedding ring? And if he is German, the ring is on the wrong hand.
Best
Gus

Hey Gus: Maybe the guy was still engaged back then...
But what makes you think he's German at all? The uniform could be influenced by Germany, as were many Eastern European or even Ottoman uniforms... The man with the Tropenhelm and EK2 could be a German Colonial and the others local military... And with the camels in (dromedaries actually), I would place this somewhere from Andrinople in the Balkans (not sure they had camels there though unless imported?) to Palestine.

Yes, they had camels in Macedonia, see scroll helmets thread...

Yes, they had Tropenhelme in Macedonia...

No, they didn`t use Feldgrau in colonies...

That`s what makes me think he`s not colonial. He`s just "down with the kids" as they say these days... 8)

Intersting thing is the tropehelm, I`ve seen this type before in Macedonia. It:s not the Bortdfelt 1902 type usually seen in China and Palestine, but more rounded. Does anyone know who these helmets were made by?

Cheers
Chris

Joe

Last pic identified as hospital Staff of Feldlazarett 357 in Turkey,September 1917.

Pic was originally posted at: http://www.sammlergemeinschaft-deutscherauszeichnungen.org/

Peter

The first picture looks to be in eastern Europe. The braid or litzen on the fez wearer throws me. No example of this in my Turkish source books. He looks like he is about to slap the dog crap out of the guy wearing the pith helmet! Cool picture though!

Peter,

Here is the back of the card. I do not know how they identified this as Turkey. That just does not seem right to me. I could not find it on the site–how do they justify Turkey?

ps306a by joerookery, on Flickr

Is it possible that we have to do here with someoneof the Bosnian-Herzegovinan Infantry of the Kuk Army? See for example : http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/bosnians.html .

Hoi Pierre,
The cut of his tunic is German, rather than Austrian. I would think he is probably from the same unit as the cap in the pith helmet, and as he is wearing the EKII ribbon in his tunic, I would venture to bet he is German. I know that the Germans issued the EKII to other nationalities, but they usually had a different way of wearing the ribbon.
Best
Gus

Well, Gus, after studying better the jackets of the Bosnians on that rather spectaculair website about the Kuk Armee, I must admit, that this guy is problably a German. :( I just tried to think "out of the box", which sometimes helps to find an answer. This time it did not work alas.

Hoi Pierre,
It is good to think out side the box, some times it gets one to look more closely at the subject, and helps rule out possibilities.
Best
gus

Back