Why FR

aicusv

I was recently asked a question about my helmets that in the past 65 years I've never been asked nor even thought about. The question was,"Why is there a FR on the helmet plate?". The monarch was Willy, shouldn't it had been a WR on the plate? Britain has always changed the monogram when the changed monarch, why did the Germans stick with the old monogram?

„FR“ stands for „Fredericus Rex“ and is a honor to Friedrich I., who was the 1. prussian King.

"Old Fritz" as he was known was the favourite King of A. Hitler. He kept a portrait of the King in his office. As the days of WW2 darkened he often referred to Frederick's successes, trying to put a positive spin on the crises facing Germany.

I knew that it stood for Fredericus Rex I just didn't understand why since the Kaiser's name was William? Wasn't Friedrich I - King of Prussia, Alt Fritz's father?

aicusv said:
I knew that it stood for Fredericus Rex I just didn't understand why since the Kaiser's name was William? Wasn't Friedrich I - King of Prussia, Alt Fritz's father?
He was the Grand-Pa of Friedrich II., also called „Der alte Fritz“. His father was „Friedrich Wilhelm I.“

Btw, it is said that Friedrich II. (Friedrich der Große or Alte Fritz) brought the potatoes to Germany. If you want to visit his grave in Sanssouci you should take some Potatoes with you. It is a funny custom to place a potato on the grave in his honor :D

Back