Wondering about cockades / kokarden configuration

my8trax

I have wondered for some time now, and guess I might as well ask: it seems I see two kinds of cockade ( for the 1915), some have a "lip" or ring bordering the middle color ring, and others do not. It is hard to describe this so I uploaded a couple of pictures from Ebay to show the difference. I wondered if there is a reason for this? Were the nation cockades usually without the rings, or is there no meaning to any of this, just different manufacturing.
http://picasaweb.google.com/110865843059608170757/Kokarden#

Hey, I'm pretty sure the national with no lip is just a poor reproduction. Its hard to tell from the photos, they look to have an excess amount of paint on them, which takes away from the detail. But all the cockades I own have a lip around the ring. But I might be wrong, Would love to know more on this subject. I'm curious what the experts have to say? :?:

Yes, who knows if they were original or not, but saw a number of national cockades on Ebay, advertised as original, that had no ring. I just wondered if there was some standard that dictated which type of cockade would have that ring or not have it. Maybe ring is not the right term, it is like a lip. Too much time on my hands I guess :)

Hey Oliver, I suspect that it is just a difference in the company that produced them, all my originals, and the repros I have do not have the lip.
Gus

Back