Wondering about dry liners

my8trax

Hi, I am fairly new to the site. Among many things I had in the 70's that I decided to sell were two pickelhauben. Both wartime grey fitting, Prussian and Baden. Wish I still had all the stuff, but that was then and this is now. I think I will keep watching Ebay for just a common grey fitting Prussian, but wondered: some of the liners look very dry. Through a brief search on the net, they talk about being very careful, but mention Pecards, Lexol, and Connolly. Wondered what the thinking was on what to do if I get a very dry liner. Leave it? Carefully use one of the above with care? Thanks, look forward to your expertise.

Hi Oliver, welcome to the forum! I think you should not attempt any conditioning concerning leather helmets. Several forum members are very knowledgeable about all restoration aspects and will be happy to give advice. My general feeling though is that it is normal for old leather to become stiff by aging and that there is no need to bring it back to serviceable condition.

Back