WOW

Muth25

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCARCE-IMPERIAL-GERMAN-ARMY-WWI-PHOTOBOOK-1926_W0QQitemZ160041002830QQihZ006QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seems like an amazing book, the pictures of the Tanks under fire are intense!

Double wow ! that is an amazing book some great photographs and some very shocking images too, I think even the most shocking photographs we have seen published do not come close to what the average soldier saw and experienced especially in WW1.

If you have ever read "ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT" you will know what I mean.

Hey Spike,
To get an even more graphic view from the French side, read "Under Fire" by Henrie Barbusse, The thing that I think would be the most overpowering part of the battle field would be the smell of death, that is rotting flesh, not everyone has the opportunity to experience such an odor, but working on a ranch, one encounters it from time to time and it is overwhelming, and to add the psychological aspect of knowing that it was coming from the remains of friends would make it very difficult to bare.
Best wishes
Gus

Thanks Gus I must get the "UNDER FIRE " book.

This German website shows many of the VERY SHOCKING photographs in the eBay listed book above http://www.stahlgewitter.com/ click on the green writing under the first picture for further images.

If your think you have a strong stomach well be warned this is and I repeat the most HORRIFIC photograph of a dead soldier you will ever see don't say you were not warned a dead Iraqi soldier this is what a bullet really does ! DO NOT LOOK IF FULL COLOUR IMAGE OF A DEAD PERSON WILL SHOCK YOU http://poetry.rotten.com/failed-mission/

Gus I found a copy of the "Under Fire Book" on the web you can read it for free on this link

http://www.ibiblio.org/eldritch/wwone/underfire.html

Probably most of us have smelled road kill on a hot summers day. Mulitply that by 100 and you probably would come close to the stench of the Western Front and the flies. At least, that is what I tell my students. Brian

Hey Spike,
I forgot about the books on the net, but I still prefer sittiing down with a good book.

Brian,
I also forgot about road kill, multiply by 100? that should work, and make it your favorite dog or kitten, and multiply that by 100 too.
Gus

Here are some reading suggestions that better describe the horros of the great war :

A Passionate Prodigality by Guy Chapman

Ghosts Have Warm Hands by Will Bird

A Subaltern on the Somme by "Mark Seven"

Old Soldiers Never Die by Frank Richards

A Private In The Guards by Stephen Graham

Some Desperate Glory by Edwin C. Vaughn

The Great War And Modern Memory by Paul Fussell

Eyedeep In Hell by John Ellis

Will Byrd wrote another book that captures his thoughts and ponderances of the Great war it was called 13 years after a good read . Another couple to read " I want one Volunteer " by Ernest G Black
It Makes You Think of Home,The Diary of Frank Deward 19th Battalion CEF"
The series of Books by Lynn Macdonald are also good My favorite is "1915"
Zippey

The Diary of Private Fraser is another good CEF book about WW1 experiences. In addition, The Suicide Battalion, the story of the exploits of the 46 Batt. CEF tells it like it was.
Zippy, I have read Ghosts Have Warm Hands at least 6 times a great book!!!! For the rest of you, Byrd was in the 42 Batt. Canadian Black Watch based in Montreal. He describes his experiences during the war, the last 100 days and in the Canadian attack on Mons which took place on the last full day of the war Nov10. A very controversial attack by the Canadian General Arthur Currie. The brass hats wanted to end the war where it had started for the Brits .....at Mons. Not easy to swallow though for those like Will B. who lost close friends during that attack. These were Canucks who had survived 3 yrs in the trenches only to die hours before it was all over. Currie was much criticized for his actions after the war. He even had to sue an Ontario newspaper for libel in order to fight back against those who thought that he had sacrificed lives for nothing. He won the case. Brian

Back