Wurtt M15 Wappen Field Repair

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I bought this from Manions in the days when I did not know any better and the Canuck Buck vs the US Green Back was fairly reasonable. You can see how the original top of the wappen obviously broke off and was replaced by a thin piece of lead sheet in an approximation of what had been there. I am calling this a period repair, because the colour of the paint on the wappen matches perfectly with the added helemt and crown. I am also posting another pic of 2 other M15 Wurttemberg wappen plus this one for colour comparison. Brian

Collectionroompics020.jpg
Collectionroompics021.jpg
Collectionroompics037.jpg

I wonder if this might have been some sort of post abdication "break off the crown job". Guess we will never know.

That is a good guess Joe but then why bother to replace the knights helme and crown. In the reverse pic you can see how they tried to apply the separation lines and other details in the replacement piece. This could be totally bogus but the paint colour is just so good and the grey metal patina matches perfectly. Obviously, this replacement piece was solderd on but we see no shiney solder to suggest that this was recently done. I should probably mention this wappen in my will...they might as well burry it with me as no one would ever buy it. Brian

Back