Wurttemberg Helme

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I am posting some fotos of a helme from my collection. I want to know what to classify it as when we re do that part of the site. I am the first collector to own it. I purchased the helme from a gentleman in the US who had been given it as a child by the original owner during the 1930's. This is obviously a private purchase helme. The wappen is totally officer with everything pierced and gilded. The spike, which does not unscrew is obviously slimmer and more fashionable than normal. Officer liner, with the remains of a gilt monogram on the silk. Visors are natural leather not lined with the usual red and green cloth. OR kokarden but larger than the normal "issue" ones. The kokarden are original to the helmet and actually stuck to the shellac finish of the helme. OR custom style non ventilated spine, M91 officer flat infantry scales. Please excuse the size of the pics...Margo just chewed me out big time for not setting an example, sorry it will not happen again. Here are the pics:

helmet059.jpg

helmet056.jpg

helmet057.jpg

helmet055.jpg

Brian

Great haube with a great story! By way of a quiz, what wurttemburg officer's spiked helmet did not use a squared visor and crucifix spike base?

Dave

Mikey:

Good guess and partially correct. Officers of 4. Komp of Eisenbahn-Batl. Nr. 4, officers of 3. Komp of Telegraph-Batl Nr. 4 and the Wurttemberg Detachement of Festungs-Fernsprech-Komp. wore Prussian pioneer helmets with the Wurttemberg cockade and silver wappen with the Order of the Wurttemberg Crown (like Dragoner-Regt. Nr. 26). Pretty damn rare...

Dave

A Private purchase Diensthelme. Used for OR without portapee, OYVs, non-test taking Fähnriche.

a similar(not the same kind) helm
wurtOyv.jpg

Interesting pic from Dave comparing one piece portapee cockades.
NCOCockade_04.jpg

Thanks Joe:
I had this helme listed as a Wurtt OYV on the old web site so I was not completely out of the ball park. Brian

Joe:

Great pic of your OYV! Now, about the differing size cockades, I don't think this forum has ever resolved (at least in my mind) when officers started wearing the larger cockade and the smaller one was religated senior NCOs. A prime example is the smaller cockade being worn on the M-71 Wurttemberg officer's helmet shown on the cover of Wurttemberg book by Wannenwetsch and Hilsenbeck. Food for thought...

Dave

Any comments on the kokarden on this helme gentlemen? As I said they are larger than the usual OR issue ones. Is this just another example of the custom purchase differences? Brian

Ace 'haube B.!
Is there a book just on Wurtt. helmets out there? I heard something about one.

Cheers Dave. I bet they are rare too.
Here's a question for you; How long should a Man's legs be? :joker:

spikeymikey said:
Is there a book just on Wurtt. helmets out there?

Is there ever. Anyone who does not have this book, find one. Wannenwetsch & Hilsenbeck (1993) Konigreich wurtemberg die militarischen kopfbedeckungen 1869-1919. Steinach-Verlag, Reutlingen.
Brian you have one I believe?

Mikey

I wouldn't call the books "rare". Like most of the out-of-print helmet books out there, you should be able to find one on e-bay at some point in the future. Plan on paying around $100... As far as the proper length of a Man's legs, I would presume they need to be just long enough to touch the ground when standing???

Dave

Mike, per your question, isn't the right length for one's legs when feet just reach the ground?
I agree that the book on Wurtemberg hats is a must have. I was lucky to receive it as a gift from the author (J. Hilsenbeck). Pictured items are splendid and everything is there.
Bruno

Back