WW1 Display

flasheart

Chaps,

I have posted some pictures of some of my collection on display during our ANZAC Day commemoration on 25 April. I don't know if any other countries have anything quite like ANZAC Day. I'd certainly like to hear about it if you do.

ANZAC Day commemorates the day of the landing of the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC Corps) on Gallipoli Peninsula on 25 April 1915. This was the first time, since federation in 1901, that the Australian Army and the New Zealanders had gone into a major conflict. Although Gallipoli was a bit of a stalemate it holds a very special place in the Australian culture. Of course the ANZACs went on to achieve some outstanding feats on the Western Front in 1916-1918, including Pozieres, Mouquet Farm, Messines, Broodseinde, Passchendaele, playing a major part in halting the Michael Offensive of March 1918, Villers-Brettoneaux, Hamel. The Australians and Canadians spearheaded the great British offensive at Amiens, 8 August 1918 'der Schwarztag'', then Mont St Quentin, and the breaching of the Hindenburg Line.

For Australia and New Zealand, like Britain and Canada, our losses in WW1 exceed the losses in all the other wars of the twentieth century put together

On ANZAC Day each year, the whole country commemorates both the first ANZACs, and the sacrifices of servicemen and servicewomen in all wars. most people attend a 'Dawn Service' at around 04:45AM. This starts with rum and coffee, then a commemorative service, then a 'gunfire breakfast', then traditional soldiers games like 'Two Up ' and Çrown and Anchor''. At around 10:00 am, in just about every city in the country, the war veterans march through the streets under their old unit banners, along with formations of serving soldiers, then off to the pubs and clubs for a few beers. The whole country effectively comes to a standstill on ANZAC Day.

I have been to many countries and certainly the USA and most of the commonwealth countries commemorate Rememberance Day (US Veteran's Day) on 11 November just as we do, but I have never seen any commemoration of 'the soldier' quite like it is done on ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand.

At my unit, we held the Dawn Service and then folks were free to play the soldiers games etc. I had also set up a portion of my collection as a display in the soldiers club for people to view. The attached photos show the display. Some of the highlights:

A German uniform with greatcoat Stahlhandgranate and Gew 98, circa 1917

An Australian Light Horse uniform, privately tailored in Egypt and belonging to LT Albert Edward Christie of 4th Light Horse Regiment.

An AFC/RFC uniform belonging to CAPT Edward Fearnley Rowntree, 3rd Sqn AFC.

An AFC Cold weather flying jacket, cowl and goggles

Á complete French uniform circa 1914 of the 133rd Infantry Regiment ( I had to equip him with a M1874 Gras as I do not have a M1886 Lebel)

An Australian infantryman's uniform and equipment, 8th battalion AIF circa 1917 (again I did not have a No 1 Mk 3 SMLE, so I gave him a Boer War era Mark 1 LE).

Australian slouch hats from the Boer War, WW1 and WW2.

A Mauser Kar 98 AZ

A Japanese flag captured by 2/7 Battalion 2AIF, at Kiarivu New Guinea August 1945.

Plus examples of equipment and weapons from the Boer War, WW1 and WW2.

This is perhaps half of my uniforms, 10% of my helmets and 10% of my antique firearms.

Mike

P4250405.jpg

P4250404.jpg

P4250406.jpg

408.jpg

409.jpg

P4250407.jpg

P4250414.jpg

Cheers to you Mike. I hope your display and effort was well received?

"But what's the use of talking when you're stony broke and walking,
And the tucker bag is empty and the fish refuse to bite?".

Bottoms up! :thumbleft:

What a treat Mike! I was not aware of the intricacies of Anzac Day -- thank you. But I have stumbled across an almost pilgrimage like journey of young Australians going to Gallipoli. An incredibly inspiring sight -- young people -- not veterans. I don't know if there is another country that does that.

Outstanding, Mike. The German looks familiar, I think he may be a brother to the one in my collections room. The only fault I can see in you display is the number of slouch hats, I believe that you collection could be greatly improved by reducing the number to maybe two at most. I would be very happy to help you do this, I would even pay postage. As for ANZAC Day, it is a great way to pay tribute to those who stood up for their country. The Canadians celebrate Rememberance in a similar way (in the US it is Veterans Day, and have no idea what it is about). It is nice to see all the government employees, media and most of the population wearing poppies for a week or so in the first part of November.
I think the Vimy is becoming as big a pilgrimage for Canadians, as ANZAC Cove is for Australian and New Zealand, while in our country, young people make pilgrimages to hollywood.
Great sisplay, thanks for the photos
Gus

Tony,

This is the second year in a row that I have set up the display, and yes it was very well received. We can tend to forget that most people would never see this kind of stuff unless they went to a museum. Certainly, in this display, there were some very unique items like the WW1 slouch hats (an object of great veneration in this country) and the AFC uniforms.

Joe,

There is a bit of a phenomenon going on in which ANZAC Day is getting bigger rather than smaller. There was a time in the 1980s and 1990s, as the WW1 veterans passed and the the WW2 contingents were getting smaller, when there was a feeling that the support for ANZAC Day was dwindling.

Then something happened in the last 15 years that has seen ANZAC Day grow exponentially and the crowds gets bigger every year, and the 'pilgrimage'to Gallipoli gets bigger every year. I think there was a bit of a realisation, as the last Gallipoli/WW1 veterans passed away, that the memory had to be kept alive. One of the great connections is that medals can be worn by the descendants of deceased veterans; they are worn on the right side rather than the left. So you will see young children marching with the contingents wearing their fathers or grandfather's.

I recall attending the Dawn Service at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra in 1988 - there were perhaps 5,000 people in attendance. I went the the AWM Dawn Service in 2001 and there were maybe 20,000 people in attendance. This year there was 30,000. The amazing thing is that it is all driven by young people.

Gus,

The German should be even better next year as I just picked up a M1915 feldbluse.

I think that WW1 had a more profound impact on the UK, Australia, Canada, NZ than it did on the USA; hence I can understand less attention to Remembrance Day in the US. In Australia's case, 40% of the adult male population volunteered (no conscription in Australia) for service and 2/3 of them became casualties. Canada and NZ had a similar experience. Even though WW2 was closer to home, the impact in terms of losses was vastly less than WW1.

Mike

Hey Mike,
You forgot to send me a couple of the hats, you are right about the US and the participation in WWI, only a fraction of the male population served, and then only a fraction of those made it to the front.
Gus

Mike,
That is a very nice display. Small, but with lots of stuff for the public to see. Mark and I have done the same here in Ontario. It is amazing the questions that people ask. Really good questions too. The interest and sometimes they get more interested in what their family members did in either war. I find it a joy talking to people. Keep up the good work.
Cheers,
Cliff :thumb up:

Excellent display Mike, people need to see these items! Your comments on WW1 effect on Canadians are right on the mark. It was a large factor in making all of our three countries aware of their independence and nationhood. We are at war right now and this is also helping to push our Rememberance Day back into the minds of the populace. I really like the idea of veterans' relations being able to wear the medals on the right side. What a great way to remember them especially if they have passed on. Brian

b.loree said:
I really like the idea of veterans' relations being able to wear the medals on the right side. What a great way to remember them especially if they have passed on. Brian
Brian,
I am not totally sure and Tony. Maybe you would know. I seem to remember that wearing of metals can be done here in Canada too. On the right side. This is going back awhile. If so, I think that not alot of people know of it.

Cliff :dontknow:

Back