WWI GM-18 Gas Mask Refurbished for the Reichswehr

Galacnor1

Hello again Everyone,

Long time no see!

Due to my study program at the University of Bremen in History, I've had very little time (or money) for my collection for the past few years; however, I have been acquiring things here and there in spite of my lack of online presence and finally have found the time to share one of my rarer masks, a refurbished GM-18 in complete condition inside of its original carrier.

I originally purchased this mask from another collector in at the end of 2020; but, have only recently gotten around to taking photographs of it to share with the general public.

This set seems to have become rather famous among some people, as I've seen copies of the auction photographs of it shared on several forums. In-case anyone has been wondering exactly where it’s gone: It ended up in my collection! For those who have been curious about the set since they saw it for sale, I will finally share some general history and more detailed photographs of my own.

A short history lesson about the post war use of the GM-17 and GM-18 masks:
As is certainly common knowledge at this point, the various models of rubberized canvas masks used by the Germans in the early stages of World War I began to be replaced from mid-1917 onwards with protective masks constructed from leather. Today these masks are most often known in the English speaking world as the GM-17 and GM-18. As far as current research and surviving examples can tell us, after the conclusion of World War I the GM-17 and GM-18 masks that were in use by the Imperial German Military continued in service with the newly formed Reichswehr forces. Initially the masks were used in essentially the same configuration that was seen during the First World War, they still lacked exhale valves, had no modifications made to their face seals, and were used with stocks of existing filters left over from the Great War. The carriers for the masks were still used with the original carry straps and were not yet extended in length. At some point some of the original papercloth straps began being replaced with leather substitutes. This has been confirmed both by photographic evidence from the period, and by the discovery of a small number of Reichswehr marked GM-17 and GM-18 masks and carriers which have been found still in World War I configuration, with either original papercloth straps or leather substitutes. Sometime around 1930, most likely after the introduction of the GM-30 series of gas masks, the remaining GM-17 and GM-18 masks in Reichswehr inventory were "refurbished" through a centrally organized process to modernize their design in an effort to extend their service life. Such a plan most likely came about as a cost cutting measure to stretch a limited budget, or to overcome shortages of the GM-30 masks. The results of the program seem to have been the fitting of the remaining GM-17 and GM-18 masks with modified face seals which included a Kinnstütze, or chinrest, the installation of exhale valves, and in many cases, the replacement of the thinner World War I pattern carry straps with a stronger variant. The carriers for the masks were also modified by cutting them in into two halves and then welding a sheet metal cylinder in-between the halves in order to create a longer carrying case. The carrying cases also had their straps replaced at this point with leather ended canvas examples, with the belt hooks being made entirely out of leather with a metal hook attached at the end. This work appears to have been done exclusively by Auer, as all of the examples I have handled seem to have Auer produced exhale valves. These modified masks survived in inventory for quite some time, and there is some evidence to suggest that they were issued to rear echelon troops for a number of years before being turned over to the Luftschutz, or civil air defense. Later, many of the surviving masks were collected up and found their way to Spain and other “needy” countries as war aid, with a limited number of them remaining in Germany through some twist of fate. Unfortunately, no documents have surfaced, to my knowledge, which explain the timeline of ownership and the masks eventual fate; meaning that further research is needed in order to clarify their full history.

Turning our attention to my example, this particular mask was originally used by the Reichswehr and was modified by Auer, most likely in 1932. The mask then survived in use until at least 1938 with some German organization.

The set is rather special for a GM-17/18 reissue in that, the set is extensively marked with the owner's identifying information. As can be seen in the pictures below, at some point the mask was issued to someone with the last name of "Krein"; hence, I have taken to calling this particular set the "Krein Maske" since acquiring it. The last name is accompanied by a four digit number “1195” across the entirety of the set. This is obviously some kind of identification number for its owner; however, my knowledge of German organization identification numbers is practically non-existent. Thus, it is possible that the number’s length could possibly help us to identify the final German organization which used the mask; however, I am unable to attach any meaning to it personally.

Without further delay, I will now present my photographs of this particular example. I hope you all are ready for one of my typical, photo heavy, posts!

Starting with the Tragbüchse, or "carrying case" it is possible to observe that the majority of the deep green paint has survived well over the years along with both the short and long Tragriemen, or "carrying straps". It is rather unusual to find these reissued GM-17/18 carriers in such a condition for some reason. The majority of them are found missing most of their paint and with relatively strong corrosion problems, the cylinder shaped "extension" that was welded into the recycled carriers seems to be particularly vulnerable to this phenomenon, as they are almost always the first area of the cylinder to become barren of paint and corrode, more than likely a difference in the makeup of the steel or it's preperation is to blame for this.

Below: Various Views of the Carrying Case with it's lid both open and closed. The outside of the container is painted the same deep green as World War I examples, and the inside is the same matte black.
Krein1.jpg
Krein3.jpg
Krein27.jpg
Below: The metal cylinder which has been added to the carrier to extend its lenght is clearly visible here, near the bottom of the carrying case.
Krein8.jpg
Below: Details of the latch that holds the lid closed and the hinge on the opposite side of the carrying case. the "J" in the circle marking denotes the original manufacturer of the carrier and dates to World War I.
Krein11.jpg
Krein12.jpg
Below: Visible faintly on the lid of the carrier is an etched name. The etching is too faint to read without more detailed analysis than I have already conducted. More than likely this etching was done after the carrier was converted, as it would not have survived the refurbishment process.
Krein10.jpg
Below: The name "Krein" and the identification number "1195" brushed onto the bottom of the carrying case in white paint.
Krein7.jpg

Below: Detail shots of the leather components of the long and short carrying straps. The long carrying strap is mostly fabric with a leather end piece. The short strap is entirely leather with a metal hook. As can be seen here, the leather has not held up extremely well and has cracked on the surface due to age. I have oiled the leather to preserve its remaining flexiblility and prevent further cracking. For now the leather is still strong despite its appearance. These leather construction straps were present on many early German gas mask carriers and there appears to have been som variation in production style, many have a small tag intended for a soldier's name sewen onto the long strap near the leather end, while other examples do not. My particular strap does not have a name tag integrated into it. It seems that these leather ended straps had some longevity issues, as they were replaced in service with different materials on later carrying cases. The metal used appears to be brass, both for the belt hook and fastening buttons, this was apparently a very expensive material to use and later German gas masks used aluminum or steel as in place of brass. Many examples of these straps straps have Reichswehr property stamps pressed into them; sadly, on my straps there are no surviving stamps to be found.
Krein4.jpg
Krein5.jpg
Krein6.jpg
Below: Moving inside the carrying case, we come across the storage compartment for spare sets of Klarscheiben, or anti-fog inserts, and the mask itself. The Klarscheiben are stored inside of a round container which is secured to the lid of the gas mask carrier. The round container is covered by a metal lid which, when lifted, reveals the spare sets of anti-fog inserts held underneath a retaining spring.
Krein13.jpg
Krein15.jpg
Krein16.jpgKrein25.jpg
Below: Inside of the Klarscheiben container are three packets for Klarscheiben. One of them is used, presumably this set is the one which is inside of the mask. The other two still contain unused Klarscheiben. All three appear to be Auer production from 1938.
Krein18.jpg
Krein17.jpg
Krein20.jpg

Below: Finally, the mask itself. The mask is complete with its "Krein 1195" marked filter and unbroken support cord, and the retrofitted exhalve valve is clearly visible on the left side of the mask.

The subject of the support cord provides an opportunity to discuss the difference between the GM-17 and GM-18 gas masks: For a very long time, the assumption has been that the GM-17 was issued with this support cord, while the GM-18 was issued with a broader support "strap" and updated head harness, thus many might identify this mask as a GM-17; however, this assumption appears to be incorrect. The limited surviving information on the adoption of the GM-18 standard seems to indicate that the GM-18 designation came about as the result of the adoption of a new, stronger, version of the lenses fitted to the leather masks. For many years it was assumed that these thicker lenses were actually another post war modification; however, this has now been disproven, thanks in part to the discovery of Reichswehr GM-17 masks which were refurbished in the 1930s, but retained their GM-17 pattern lenses. These newer lenses appear to date from the First World War, and were designed to provide the soldier with a better field of view than the older pattern which required the "spiderweb" reenforcements had allowed, as they were significantly more durable than the GM-17 lens design and did not require this supporting frame behind them. The updated head harness system, which included a support strap in place of the cord, was actually a later WWI modification to the GM-18 design. The specifics of the timeline of development for the GM-18 mask are extremely difficult to positively identify due to the lack of surviving documentation, and there remains some debate as to whether or not the final versions of the GM-18 made it to the front in large numbers by the end of the First World War.; however, what can now be conclude is that there were certainly a substantial number of the GM-18 masks produced, both with and without the updated harness assembly, and they were in use in Weimar era Germany with the Reichswehr.
Krein31.jpg
Krein32.jpg
Krein33.jpg
Below: Detail of the reenforced lenses present on the GM-18 Gas Masks
Krein43.jpg
Below: The Reichswehr appears to have not made a distinction between the two models of masks during issuing. This is a document which used to be part of my collection which details the equipment issued to a Reichswehr soldier in March of 1925. On the list, is the entry "Gasmaske 17-18 Große 3", meaning that the masks were issued indiscriminately in spite of an acknowledged difference between models.
Krein57.jpg
Krein58.jpg
Below: Detailed photos of the exhale valve and the way in which it attaches to the mask and its apperance from inside and outside of the mask. This was a very simple modification which appears to have been based on technology already present in the GM-30 series of masks, as the exhale valves function is essentially identical to the ones found in later masks. The AB indicates that the exhalve valve was produced by Auer, while the letter "O" is part of the code system used by Auer at the time, indicating 1932 production.
Krein40.jpg
Krein41.jpg
Krein45.jpg
Krein46.jpg

Below: View from inside the mask
Krein44.jpg
Below: The above mentioned chin rest, also more than likely added as a result of experiences made with the GM-30 mask's development. This example is sadly quite badly damaged and torn through. There is supposed to be a metal button where the tear is that would have allowed for the adjustment of the chin rest; however, it is missing alltogether. It is my belief that this damage resulted while the mask was sitll in service and it was never repaired, as if it happened later, chances are that the metal button would still be rolling around in the mask's carrying case.
Krein47.jpg
Below: A view of the updated GM-18 lenses from behind both with and without the anti-fog inserts and their updated retaining rings installed. In the first photo a faint "2" is visible on the leather face seal. This stamp indicates the masks size. "2" being "normal" or "medium".
Krein49.jpg
Krein50.jpg
Below: The updated retaining rings and the installed pair of anti-fog inserts. These inserts are dated 1938 and were produced by Auer just like the remaining sets in the storage compartment in the lid of the carrying case. Granting further credence to the idea that these updated lenses were first fielded in WWI, the retaining rings present are of two minimally different designs, with one having a large square indent in the handle for grasping it, and the other a small round indent. The purpose for this indent is unknown to me. Its possible that it serves only to strengthen the metal stamping.
Krein51.jpg
Below: Detailed photographs of the head harness system. Still indentical to the system seen on the GM-17 masks.
Krein55.jpg
Krein56.jpg
Below: The retrofitted strap for hanigng the mask around the neck at the "ready" position. This modification was not always made when the masks were updated, and modified Reichswehr masks are found both with the original WWI model, and this strenghtened, post-war version. Here the name "Krein" and "1195" appear again on a typewritten nametag.
Krein34.jpg

Below: Finally, the filter element itself. It appears to be an early version of what would eventually become the Fe37 filter; although, I am not sure entirely what its actual designation would have been. It is also an Auer produced filter element and was finished in 1938. An early Waffenamt stamp is present on the filter.
Krein35.jpg
Krein36.jpg
Krein37.jpg
Krein38.jpgKrein39.jpg
Below: Underneath the mask and filter, the original cleaning cloth for this example is still present. Unlike later masks which had purpose made cleaning cloths, it seems like soldiers often were simply given a piece of fabric to wipe their mask down with. This cloth has some rust staining; but, is still quite intact.
Krein29.jpg
Krein30.jpg
Below: Finally, we have reached the bottom of the carrying case.
Krein26.jpg
With this last image, the presentation of my modified GM-18 gas mask is complete. I hope that I have done a good enough job explaining this wonderful piece of equipment that has come into my posession. If there are still any questions about anything, please do not hesitate to ask! Inversely, if anyone here has any idea what organization the "1195" number could be associated with, I would love to know!

Thank you very much for your attention!

with regards from Germany
Alexander

Really fascinating!! Thank you very much. I love these and still keep all of my drawing materials in a gas mask can of this type.

An extraordinary piece of history - and an outstanding post. Thanks for sharing!
I agree with Jeff. A nice piece of history and awesome post. Well done, Alexander (y)
Great piece thank you for sharing.
A truly unique post, thank you! 👍
Really fascinating!! Thank you very much. I love these and still keep all of my drawing materials in a gas mask can of this type.

Thank you for the compliments, gentlemen. It is always my pleasure to come across such nice masks to share with you all.

Hopefully some more great items come up again in the future!

Regards
Alex

Dearest B.Loree,
Great to see a young man who also collects the pieces of History which are so important to all of us here on the forum. 👍

I greatly appreciate your compliment. I turned 26 this year but am already feeling old myself! I've been interested in history since I was a very young boy, probably starting around the age of 3 or 4. I learned a-lof of my basic literacy from reading my father's reference books on the American Civil War.

I personally was always more interested in German history and ended up moving further and further in that direction as the years went on, to the point that I ended up moving out to Germany in 2018 and ended up married to a German girl. Since I've been here I've had more and more opportunites to collect German equipment and learn some history first hand, and I couldn't be happier for the opportunitiy.

It seems like interest in history is often rare among my generation, and I certainly lament that. I actually study history as part of a two subject degree program designed for future teachers at the "Gymnasium" one of the three levels of highschool that the German system maintains. I am sometimes worried about the interest the children will have in my lessons once I graduate; however, as the Gymnasium is the highest level of secondary education here, I hope I get the more motivated ones!

If there is anything I can do for you or the forum please let me know. I'd be most happy to help.

Regards
Alex

Hi Alex: Another good post. I taught High School History for 37 years and yes it is difficult to generate any interest amongst the very young. One has to realize that they have only been on the planet for say 15-17 years so it is very difficult for them to relate to Historical events of 100+ years etc. The best way is to relate the History to something that they know...something current in their world. I always looked at newspapers everyday for lesson plan ideas. The best History teachers are also good story tellers so you have to get away from boring facts and relate the human stories of veterans, historical events and personalities. In your studies you have to delve into these "personal histories" so you can tell the stories and grab student interest. Play clips from movies as well, take anything visual from the internet. This worked for me.

Back