WWI US Grouping

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Guy's just picked up this WWI medal grouping and looking for more information.

I think I may have stumbled onto a rare find.

WWI soldiers name is Olex Philles a Sargent in Co. L of the 11th infantry.

Group came with his ID tags, Victory medal with 4 campaign bars, French Medal, and the Distinguished Service cross. I went on internet and learned I should look for a number on this medal. I found it and sure enough 1554 belongs to Olex!!!

So I know he earned it, but is there a way to find out what he did?

I got this from a family member of his, but they do not know what he did? They said he always bragged about the French giving him a medal too.

Any way is there a way to find out this information?

thanks for the help.

James

Just got this information from another forum:

PHILLIS, OLEX
Sergeant, U.S. Army
Company L, 11th Infantry Regiment, 5th Division, A.E.F.
Date of Action: November 5 - 10, 1918
Citation:
The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Olex Phillis, Sergeant, U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in action near Brandeville, France, November 5 - 10, 1918. Sergeant Phillis rendered excellent service on patrols and by volunteering his services for an expedition into the German lines. He captured several machine-guns and rendered great assistance to the wounded by giving first aid in the absence of medical personnel.
General Orders No. 37, W.D., 1919
Home Town: Mobridge, SD

James,

Outstanding group, I love the early DSC's. I'm away from my references, but should be able to trace the number, and do a quick check on your group. Let me know if you ever decide to get rid of it. i have a DSC group to Col (later BG) E L Butts ( The Rock of the Marne) of Stillwater, MN

Keith

Here's from the Hall of Valor:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Sergeant Olex Phillis (ASN: 737035), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with Company L, 11th Infantry Regiment, 5th Division, A.E.F., near Brandeville, France, November 5 - 10, 1918. Sergeant Phillis rendered excellent service on patrols and by volunteering his services for an expedition into the German lines. He captured several machine-guns and rendered great assistance to the wounded by giving first aid in the absence of medical personnel.
General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 37 (1919)
Action Date: November 5 - 10, 1918
Service: Army
Company: Company L
Regiment: 11th Infantry Regiment
Division: 5th Division, American Expeditionary Forces

Jame's

Here is the bad and the good.

The bad news is that it is untraceable in the Gleim Planchet Press DSC research. There was a break in numbers from 1553 to 1559 in the official record (Not unusual). Did you get any paperwork from the family, sometimes the orders have the medal # annotated. Your other option is to get his award card from the NARA (if it didn't burn in the '73 fire). Either way it helps increase the value to have it hard copy attributed. As it sits right now, even though it's soft named through the family, it would sell slightly higher than an unattributed DSC (in the sales I have seen)

Now for the Good News

He is listed as a DSC winner as a Sgt in Co L 11th Infantry in the 1927 5th Div History.
You have his citation
You have the name from the family. Many of the unattributed DSC's never were attributed and the hero who earned it is lost to time. So you should be able to trace the history

His CdeG was probably awarded at the same time as his DSC, for the same action. This was pretty common practice
He should have received orders for the DSC and the CdeG as well as a large certificate

Keith

Distinguished Service Cross
Awarded for actions during the World War I
The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Colonel (Infantry) Edmund Luther Butts, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with 30th Infantry Regiment, 3d Division, A.E.F., in the Bois d'Aigremont, near Crezancy, France, July 14 - 18, 1918. On repeated occasions during the intense enemy bombardment preceding the second battle of the Marne and on the following day Colonel butts went to exposed positions under heavy shellfire for the purpose of making personal reconnaissances, securing information of great value. The personal courage and determination displayed by him inspired his regiment to withstand successfully the principal shock of the German attack and drive the enemy back across the Marne by the brilliant counterattacks which he planned.
General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 116 (1919)
Action Date: July 14 - 18, 1918
Service: Army
Regiment: 30th Infantry Regiment
Division: 3d Division, American Expeditionary Forces

From the 1965 Register of Graduates USMA

Class of 1890
3383 Edmund Luther Butts 53
B-Minn 15 Aug 68: Inf: Cuban Occupation 98-99: PhIn:pMS&T UofMinn 09-12: CO 7th IN AEF (DSC): Author Butts Manual: Ret 32 Col: BG Ret 40: D-LettermanGH, 6 Jun 50: Ob-Jan 51

Edmund Luther Butts

James

Got your reply, mine to you is stuck in the outbox (tried on my iPad and got nothing but error messages). If you want to pm your email, I will cut and paste my response. Did you get my previous on values?

Keith

James,

I have most of the Plachet Press books, so if you run into #'d US Army medals for Span Am through WW1, I should have a better than even chance to be able to trace it

Keith

Congratulations James, that is a spectacular find!!! =D> :bravo:

Thanks for showing your fabulous DSC as well Keith!!! =D> :bravo:

I tried to get one from a 1st Division Vet in the early 1980's, and followed up in the early 1990's with his widow. I didn't realize until I was in her living room visiting again a few years later, that she had all his paperwork in the drawer of an end table. I tried again a few years later to buy it, with her best friend trying to help convince her to sell it to me, but to no avail. She wouldn't sell it. I assume the son or grandson has it now, and I've never met them. :( I guess I should try to get in touch with them, to see what their thoughts are.

He had an oakleaf cluster on the ribbon, and a purple heart with an oakleaf cluster on that ribbon as well. At least I took photos of the medals framed on their living room wall. I was stupid not to have him pose with them. What was I thinking.... ](*,)

Best Regards,

Alan

Back