YEAR END ROUND-UP NEW BRITISH HELMET AND HELMET PLATES

Yeohelmetguy

Hello Fellow Collectors,

2023 is rapidly coming to an end and a new year around the corner and a new and exciting year of collecting. I want to take just a few minutes to post and share with my fellow forum members the latest additions to my British militaria collection, items added since my last post and as a wrap-up to another very successful year of collecting... please enjoy the images and please feel free to comment!

Kind regards to all,

David

King's Own Yorshire Light Infantry 1st Volunteer Battalion 2.jpgKing's Own Yorshire Light Infantry 1st Volunteer Battalion 3.jpgKing's Own Yorshire Light Infantry 1st Volunteer Battalion 4.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET 1st VOLUNTEER BATTALION, KING'S OWN YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY 1883-1901

Helmet Plate 1st Royal Guernsey Militia.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE 1st ROYAL GUERNSEY MILITIA 1881-1901

Helmet Plate 2nd Volunteer Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE 2nd VOLUNTEER BATTALION, THE ROYAL SUSSEX REGIMENT

Helmet Plate 2nd Edinburgh Rifle Volunteer Corps.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE 2nd EDINBURGH RIFLE VOLUNTEER CORPS

Helmet Plate The King's Shropshire Light Infantry.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE THE SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY 1887-1901

Helmet Plate South Lancashire Regiment.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE SOUTH LANCASHIRE REGIMENT 1881-1901

Helmet Plate 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia (Liverpool Linnet's).jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE 2nd ROYAL LANCASHIRE MILITIA, THE DUKE OF LANCASTERS OWN RIFLES (LIVERPOOL LINNETS) 1878

Helmet Plate Royal Berks Militia 1.jpgOFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE ROYAL BERKS MILITIA 1878-1881

Helmet Plate The Wiltshire Regiment 2.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE THE VWILTSHIRE REGIMENT 1883-1895

Helmet Plate The Bedfordshire Regiment.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE THE BEDFORDSHIRE REGIMENT 1883-1891

Helmet Plate The Royal West Kent Regiment, 3rd Volunteer Battalion.jpg
OFFICERS HOME SERVICE HELMET PLATE 3rd VOLUNTEER BATTALION, THE ROYAL WEST KENT REGIMENT 1881-1901

Last edited:
Very nice indeed , used to see a lot of plates in the Wallis and wallis catalogue in the old days. Rob
Hi Rob,

Happy New Year!! Thank you for taking time out to look at my most recent, in the last couple of months, additions to my British helmet and helmet plate collection and especially, thank you for very generous remark. I remember in the "good old days" too when exceptional helmet plates could be had for considerably less than the prices they command now. Willis and Willis always had exceptional pieces at auction... there are so many more auction houses today to compete with prominent houses like Willis and Willis today and of course the influence of internet shopping on the business. That said, I continue to grow my collection always watchful for exceptional pieces! Do you have an interest in British Victorian militaria?

Cheers,

David

Very nice and some are just amazingly beautiful
Hi Charles,

Happy New Year and thank you, once again, for your always very kind comments!!! I think there are a number of helmet plates to the various Lancashire volunteer and militia battalions and regiments that are just gorgeous with their enameled roses to their centers... very representative of the jeweler's art at its best and unusually interesting insignia for military organizations... below the 3rd Regiment Duke of Lancasters Own and, again, the 2nd Royal Lancaster Militia, Duke of Lancasters Own Rifles for a side-by-side comparison.

All my very best to you and yours in the coming NEW YEAR!!!

Cheers,

David

Helmet Plate 3rd Regiment Duke of Lancaster's Own.jpg Helmet Plate 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia (Liverpool Linnet's).jpg

Those are great, reminds me of the Lippe awards.

Also really like the 2nd volunteers, Royal Sussex
... yes, the red rose to the center of these two Lancashire plates is very reminiscent of the red enameled rose that appears of the Princely Lippe Cross of Honor in various classes... a beautiful Imperial German decoration! The enamel work on cross central device of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Royal Sussex plate is so extremely fine especially when you consider it that the cross is a bit more than half inch across! Often, the fine enamel work is damaged...

Cheers,

David

Helmet Plate 2nd Volunteer Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment.jpgHelmet Plate 2nd Volunteer Battalion The Royal Sussex Regiment.jpg

Last edited:
David,

As always, beautiful helmet plates, most impressive! I particularly like the Officers Home Service Plate 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia. I love the enamel work. Interesting that this is the only one I think I’ve seen with no scroll/motto.

Happy New Years to you.
Cheers,
Dennis

Beautiful helmet and plates, thank you for sharing (y)
HAPPY NEW YEAR, Sandy!

As always, thank you taking time to view my post and for your always encouraging and enthusiastic comment, they always very much appreciated... so pleased you enjoy seeing these sorts of helmets and helmet plates!!!

Cheers,

David

David,

As always, beautiful helmet plates, most impressive! I particularly like the Officers Home Service Plate 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia. I love the enamel work. Interesting that this is the only one I think I’ve seen with no scroll/motto.

Happy New Years to you.
Cheers,
Dennis
Hi Dennis,

Thank and HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope you are poised, ready for another exciting year of growing your collection! I'm looking forward to another successful year adding to my collection! I am thrilled you enjoyed seeing these newest additions to my collection. I agree with you, the 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia helmet plate is extraordinary, and its enamel work flawless. Interestingly, now that you mention it, and I have to admit I had not noticed your point that there is perhaps no other British Victorian home service helmet regimental plate devoid of a scroll and/or motto a fixed to it... will give something worthy of further research!

Again, best wishes for a marvelous NEW YEAR to you and yours!

Cheers,

David

Hi Rob,

Happy New Year!! Thank you for taking time out to look at my most recent, in the last couple of months, additions to my British helmet and helmet plate collection and especially, thank you for very generous remark. I remember in the "good old days" too when exceptional helmet plates could be had for considerably less than the prices they command now. Willis and Willis always had exceptional pieces at auction... there are so many more auction houses today to compete with prominent houses like Willis and Willis today and of course the influence of internet shopping on the business. That said, I continue to grow my collection always watchful for exceptional pieces! Do you have an interest in British Victorian militaria?

Cheers,

David
I am interested in all militaria! I have Victorian medals, Lance caps 1 Blue cloth helmet Swords etc But I don't collect Brit badges or helmet plates. I used to collect WW2 cloth Special forces AA and Indian Regiments ( still have them). I just buy what I fancy. But I do like headgear I guess it's all those School text books with battle scenes and all that stuff just lying on the battlefields! Rob

I am interested in all militaria! I have Victorian medals, Lance caps 1 Blue cloth helmet Swords etc But I don't collect Brit badges or helmet plates. I used to collect WW2 cloth Special forces AA and Indian Regiments ( still have them). I just buy what I fancy. But I do like headgear I guess it's all those School text books with battle scenes and all that stuff just lying on the battlefields! Rob
Hi Rob,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Thank you for your note in reply. I like your very eclectic approach to collecting... there is so much out there that I, like you find tremendously interesting, but I find I am comfortable with myself imposed restrictions... or guardrails or I would be buying everything in sight! I think your collection of Indian Regiments badges would be fascinating to see. My interests are all British Victorian (for the most part, a few Imperial Edwardian dragoon helmets) headgear related. I have about 27 dragoon helmets, a few officers home service helmets, the odd hussar busby and lots of officer's home service helmet plates. If you look at the list of posts under this one in the General Headgear list, all the ones with my avatar, you can see some of my other helmet plates, home service helmets and dragoon helmets. I would like to add a lancer cap or two to my collection... I think they are a really attractive headgear. With that in mind what regiments do your lancer caps represent and your home service helmet, too? I would enjoy, very much, seeing pictures of those items you hold in your collection.

Very best regards,

David

I am always impressed by these unique helmet emblems (Helmet plates) ! :)
They radiate a beauty that you would normally expect from breast stars! They also reinforce the sense of tradition of the proud British Army with their charisma. Thanks for showing us and a happy new year(y)
Frank

I am always impressed by these unique helmet emblems (Helmet plates) ! :)
They radiate a beauty that you would normally expect from breast stars! They also reinforce the sense of tradition of the proud British Army with their charisma. Thanks for showing us and a happy new year(y)
Frank
Hello Frank,

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and yours as well!!! Thank you for your lovely note, it is always wonderful to hear from you... I trust this note finds you well. Once again, thank you for your enthusiastic reply to this recent post. It is an interesting observation you make in your comparison of these British home service helmet plate stars to the breast stars of the higher orders of the various house orders of many former imperial European countries. I think, Charles, in an earlier comment made an appropriate comparison between the red rose to the center of the 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia plate being very reminiscent of the red enameled rose that appears of the Princely Lippe Cross of Honor in various classes. There are earlier patterns of the 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia plate intended for wear on the British shako of the 1860's and early 1870's as well as shoulder belt plates that could easily be mistaken for a breast star.

David Shoulder Belt PlateIMG_8538  2nd Royal Lancashire Militia.jpeg

2nd Royal Lancashire Militia 5.jpg

2nd Royal Lancashire Militia.1 jpg.jpg

The pictures above are of a shoulder belt plate worn by officers of the 2nd Royal Lancashire Militia worn from, approximately the 1840's to the 1860's. and an officer's shako of the 1860's to 1870's time period prior to the introduction of the universal home service helmet.

I hope, Frank, that you found this interesting, reenforcing your observation of the similarity between British helmet plates and breast stars.

My very warmest regards... cheers,

David

Well they are all in cupboards and other places. But I believe these are my Victorian Edwardian headwear. Rob

Attachments

• IMG_6082.jpeg
    IMG_6082.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6084.jpeg
    IMG_6084.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6085.jpeg
    IMG_6085.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6086.jpeg
    IMG_6086.jpeg
    403.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6087.jpeg
    IMG_6087.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 18
Well they are all in cupboards and other places. But I believe these are my Victorian Edwardian headwear. Rob
Hi Rob,

WOW!!! Absolutely spectacular.... your pieces of headgear are simply gorgeous and in such terrific condition! The Forage Caps are of particular interest... the Norfolk Regiment and Highland Light infantry Regiment, superb! Is the third one, without a bill to the Royal Irish Regiment or Connaught Rangers or some other Irish related volunteer or militia battalion/regiment? The lancer caps, again, just brilliant, I love the look of them and now you have reminded me of why I would want a couple in my collection. The Bedfordshire home service helmet is quite nice, I think the Bedfordshire helmet plate is one of the more attractive to be found. All-in-all, a well curated collection, nicely done. I will throw this thought out to you, should you ever want to dispose of any of these pictured items you will have an eager taker/buyer in me! Did you take the opportunity to look through any of my previous posts to view some of my dragoon helmets, home service helmets and other helmet plates in my collection? Again, a marvelous collection and thank you for sharing pictures of your headgear with me... very much appreciated!

Cheers,

David

Thank you. Pretty sure it's The Connaught Rangers. The caps are cool don't see many randomly turning up I don't buy much if anything from dealers unless I really WANT it. I did have a look at your cavalry helmets very very fine pieces I have one but it's a bit tired. Its a great hobby very addictive I been collecting since I can remember and I won't stop. Rob

Thank you. Pretty sure it's The Connaught Rangers. The caps are cool don't see many randomly turning up I don't buy much if anything from dealers unless I really WANT it. I did have a look at your cavalry helmets very very fine pieces I have one but it's a bit tired. Its a great hobby very addictive I been collecting since I can remember and I won't stop. Rob
Hi Rob,

You are more than welcome, I appreciate seeing the headgear in your collection, again just fabulous! I have to agree with you, forage caps don't turn up very often and thinking back over, maybe the last five or six years, I have only seen a couple... one with significant mothing, I recall, and the other earlier this year, just coincidently also to the Norfolk Regiment and in beautiful condition! I waffled over purchasing, foolishly adhering to my stricter self-imposed purchasing guidelines. Needless to say, when I did decide to purchase it and contacted the owner It had sold a couple of hours earlier to someone wiser than I. Yours or the envy of this collector. I would ask, when you have some time and through private messenger here (if you are familiar with that process, or I can provide you my personal e-mail address if that is easier for you) if you mind providing me with detailed or close-up pictures of the three forage caps? To what regiment is your dragoon helmet? I have purchased through a number of outlets, dealers, the occasional auction house but only rarely, and (preferred) from contacts such as yourself or other referred private parties. I'm so pleased you enjoyed my cavalry helmet collection... there are a few more that never made it into a post on this forum for whatever reason, but the posts here show the collection to good effect, I think. I do appreciate you taking time to look through the posts and really appreciate your very kind... generous remark!

Cheers,

David

Back