Yes I love ersatz pichelhaube.

Zeb,
Your ersatz pickelhaube collection is awe-inspiring. Thank you for sharing yet more of it with us.
Best regards
John

Last edited:
I'm amazed to see such a rare helmet in such incredible condition - and your Oldenburg leaves me speechless.
Zeb, you are indeed a man of good taste!
Thanks for the education,
Steve

Today I can show you a rare socalled " scroll helmet" a perticular ersatz pickelaube mainly utilized in Palestine o balcanic area. It cames with it's spike. In the time photos the spike was often removed.
zeb.
View attachment 27832

Really amazing, an incredible find, since similar helmets encountered nowadays always scream "fake". Why is there no number on the metal plate? Was it a general purpose helmet, on which a regiment number was painted or engraved as needed? Your example may have been unissued.

Thank you Bruno for your appreciament.
In a museum I believe in France, I don't remember the name at this moment, a helmet is shown exactly identical to my example, with the plate without a number. It is attributed to the Wurttembergisches Mountain Korp and wears the red-black cockade. I should have some photos on file but right now my computer is dead and I'm trying to recover the data. You are right! A plausible hypothesis is certainly that the number was painted on the plate only when the helmet was assigned to some unit.
Zeb

Thank you Bruno for your appreciament.
In a museum I believe in France, I don't remember the name at this moment, a helmet is shown exactly identical to my example, with the plate without a number. It is attributed to the Wurttembergisches Mountain Korp and wears the red-black cockade. I should have some photos on file but right now my computer is dead and I'm trying to recover the data. You are right! A plausible hypothesis is certainly that the number was painted on the plate only when the helmet was assigned to some unit.
Zeb
Zeb, as far as I know the name of that museum is Fort de la Pompelle. I was visiting it in 1992, when the collection was still presented the old-fashioned way. Now, it has been shown in an other way. It has been posted before here, the new style of showing the collection.

Zeb, as far as I know the name of that museum is Fort de la Pompelle. I was visiting it in 1992, when the collection was still presented the old-fashioned way. Now, it has been shown in an other way. It has been posted before here, the new style of showing the collection.
Coert you are a great!
Fort de La Pompelle and this is the photo.fort de la pompelle.JPG

Was there more than one example at La Pompelle? I can't remember. The one from La Pompelle pictured in Larcade's book is marked to a Mountain Machine Gun Detachment:

G1080668.JPG

Always staying on ersatz tshako's topic, I want now show you the last one I add to my collection. This is a Mod.15 felt tshako with feldgrau fittings. Only the M91 buttons are in brass as often seen in these headgears. You can see the feldgrau leather pocket for state emblem.20221221_211836.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back