Your opinion on this Jager-zu-Pherde helmet???

vhawk

Kameraden;
I have seen many pics of Jager-zu-Pherde officers helmets, but few come up for sale in the past 35 years. So when one does come up, I'm always interested.
I have never seen one like the one on eBay right now, mainly because it has a black lacquered body - (which only officers in Regiments 7 -13 would have had).
Does anyone have experience handling a lacquered J-z-P officers helmet and does this look right or doew it leave questions?
TIA

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAGER-ZU-PFERDE...612101999QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

THe inside of the helmet looks a bit damaged and the outside is very nice... Is the linner not a replacement one?

Rather than lacquered, weren't these helmets oxide-blackened or was that just the EM's helmets?

Cheers,

Laurie

James LeBrasseur said:
Auction ended early??
Usually that indicates that someone made a mutually agreeable deal "off ebay" with the seller. You're not supposed to do it, but it happens occasionally.
Just as well, I wasn't going to bid on it anyway. As stated above, the outside condition is not in sync with the interior.
I have an EM JzP and the interior/exterior are compatible in the wear dept.

vhawk said:
James LeBrasseur said:
Auction ended early??
Usually that indicates that someone made a mutually agreeable deal "off ebay" with the seller. You're not supposed to do it, but it happens occasionally.
Just as well, I wasn't going to bid on it anyway. As stated above, the outside condition is not in sync with the interior.
I have an EM JzP and the interior/exterior are compatible in the wear dept.
Auctions also end early when the seller is informed that he does not have the helmet advertised, this is a good reason not to make any off ebay sales after listing an item, as you could be mistaken for some one who lifts photo to sell bogus goods.
Gus

Oi! You lot! Gossiping like a bunch of old biddies!

What about my question?

"....weren't these (officer's) helmets oxide-blackened or was that just the EM's helmets?"

Cheers,

Laurie

kaiserzeit said:
Oi! You lot! Gossiping like a bunch of old biddies!

What about my question?

"....weren't these (officer's) helmets oxide-blackened or was that just the EM's helmets?"

Cheers,

Laurie
In his book "Picklehauben" Dr Eric Johansson used the term "black-Laquered" to describe JzP officers helmet bodies for Reg'ts 7 - 13.

vhawk said:
In his book "Picklehauben" Dr Eric Johansson used the term "black-Laquered" to describe JzP officers helmet bodies for Reg'ts 7 - 13.

Like so many things, the now deceased Mr. Johanson was almost certainly wrong. His book is dated, fun to look at, but useless for a reference. The process for blackening Jager zu Pferde helmets appeared to have been a form of Parkerizing. This involved the helmet shell being submerged into a phosphoric acid solution whose key ingredient was probably manganese, with a varying additional amounts of nitrates and chlorates and copper. The solution was heated to a high temperature (210 °F or 99 °C) for a set period to achieve the desired blackness. When they came out they would have been somewhat flat in color, so I believe then the helmets were then buffed to achieve the high shine that even the issued helmets have. Then the remainder of the fittings would have been applied. Lacquer is absolutely wrong. That is like saying that Lugers were black lacquered.

Thank you, Tony. I sort of figured it had to be an oxidation process. Lacquer on metal would just be too delicate to be practical.

Say hello to Kaiser for me.

Cheers,

Laurie

You cant find this stuff in books can you? Ace stuff Tony! But high temperature phosphoric acid for Christ sake! And I thought I'd done some dodgy job's healthwise in my time. :pirate:
I should think when the workers came out of the factory they were somewhat flat in colour too.

And I thought I'd done some dodgy job's healthwise in my time.
Like using lead based solder in poorly ventalated area? I think one reason the youth of today is not doing well is because they have not been exposed to lead, and their mental haelth has suffered because of the lack of a basic mineral necessary for healthy mental development.
Gus

Yup, I used lead based solder in a poorly ventilated area fer seven years. Hydrochloric acid for three years before that. Could be why my posts don't make much sense?

spikeymikey said:
Yup, I used lead based solder in a poorly ventilated area fer seven years. Hydrochloric acid for three years before that. Could be why my posts don't make much sense?
What do you mean, your posts make perfect sense to me.
Gus

Exactly my point Gus.
How bad for you is breathing that stuff? My Cousin's been in that factory for the last 30 years. The same God forsaken, soul destroying sweatshop - x-rayed his lungs look like a couple of empty coalsacks.

Hi Mike.
I think short term exposure is not as bad as the experts say, I made small toys out of brass soldered with several types os solder alloys (going for different melting temps) and a 50/50 lead antomony was one of the easest solders to use. I did this for 6 or 7 years, and thought that was enough, and I have suffered no ill effects (as long as one does not could the denensia and memory lose). A lot of people can with stand long term exposure if their fore fathers did the same work, as the ill effects killed off the weak ones many generations ago. Best bet though, is to minimize exposure as much as possible.
Gus

Back