Youtube video -appraisers from Germany

True, it is her item. But at least show some respect for history!
Well, here we must disagree. Objects aren't actually history. History is only our current interpretation of past events. Objects can be historical in nature, but we shouldn't confuse them with the history.

In other words, everything old is historical.

We appreciate military history so objects like the helmet are important to us. But we'd likely walk past objects that might move others to tears. How much other stuff is seen on Antiques Roadshow, Pawn Stars, etc. that most of us wouldn't pay a dollar for, and likely would throw out if we were cleaning out an old house?

I fully agree with peter, most of is won’t pay much attention to an old mug, spinning wheel or sowing machine, for most people a Tschapka is another silly object (whereas I would pay a lot for it)

I fully agree with peter, most of is won’t pay much attention to an old mug, spinning wheel or sowing machine, for most people a Tschapka is another silly object (whereas I would pay a lot for it

I met Kube once at a OVMS show
somewhere I have a photo of him at that show
At first I did not know who he was
but in fact he has aged well
much better than me
Steve

Having read the above, I would like to point out that there seems to be a "collector personality" many of which value objects from the past. We militaria collectors are part of this, our helmets are just another set of objects which attract us to pursue, spend money on and accumulate. There are collectors of everything....toasters, buttons, hockey and baseball cards, oil lamps, guitars basically anything under the sun. To me this is a good thing and I have no problem with someone showing me their button collection or their coins or stamps. I identify with their 'collector" enthusiasm and personality, I have it as well. The vast majority of humanity apparently is not part of this "collector head space", they live in the present and could care less about "old musty dusties", a phrase one of my ex wives once coined. :). Antique objects are not History, but they are a part of it, they have survived the ravages of time. They can also be used to teach History especially to the young.

I also cringe when I see historical objects being abused whether it be a tschapka or an SS generals overcoat being surrounded in tobacco smoke from a well known dealer. It is what it is my friends...unless you buy it, you have no control over what happens to it. To me, that is also part of the collector mentality, you are trying to preserve a piece of History. :)

I need to add my 2 bits here.
I would NEVER do what the woman does in the video.
But you do have to remember these are hats.
As my wife calls them " dead man's hats.
As the average layman goes hats belong on heads.
This woman is putting that theory to the test.
We may gasp but the average person would not think anything of it.

Back