Are pickelhaube prices collapsing?

General militaria discussion.

Moderator: Gustaf

Maple Creek
Contributor
Contributor

Are pickelhaube prices collapsing?

Post by Maple Creek » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:02 pm

I haven't been tracking value very closely, but today looked closely at the realized prices from Jan Kube's 24 September 2016 Special Auction. I was alarmed at the low hammer prices for some items. I did a little analysis comparing the estimated values for some items in our family collection and the prices from this recent auction. You can see the results below. The estimates are my own developed for insurance purposes. They are mostly based on Jim Turinetti's 2010 Pricing Guide. For my purposes I generally took low end values from Jim's book and further discounted by 30% to allow for current market conditions. For the realized prices I added Kube's 23% auction fee and converted to dollars at the rate prevailing at the time of the auction. For some things my estimates were way under, for others way over. On average my estimates were only $500 less than realized prices, but variations were great.

I was particularly surprised by the low prices for the Mecklenburg officers kuglehelm ($967) (compared to my estimated value for our officer's pickelhaube), and the Oldenburg officers dragoon helmet ($1,244). I put the officers' Garde du Korps helmet on the list using the reserve price of $10K although this failed to sell.

What are other people's impressions of the current market values and where do you think the market is going?

Mark D.
Image[/url]
http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... vdj7zw.jpg

911car
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Re: Are pickelhaube prices collapsing?

Post by 911car » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:17 pm

Mark, please see my pm

Tony without Kaiser
Departed

Post by Tony without Kaiser » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Hello Mark,

May I suggest that you watch prices on reputable auction houses that sell original Pickelhauben that haven't been screwed around with? I wouldn't buy a brass spike base brad from Kube because chances are high it's been screwed with.
Kaiser: 09 July 1997 - 12 October 2010.
Nina: 23 April 2002 - 31 July 2015.
I miss my little Noodles.
http://www.kaisersbunker.com/

Maple Creek
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maple Creek » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi Tony, Thanks for this advice. Could be that some of the lower priced items were put together pieces or otherwise flawed. It's hard to tell from a single photo of the item or from the description, which in any case I don't fully grasp not being fluent in German.

I do think prices are down, though.

Cheers,
Mark D.
Tony without Kaiser wrote:Hello Mark,

May I suggest that you watch prices on reputable auction houses that sell original Pickelhauben that haven't been screwed around with? I wouldn't buy a brass spike base brad from Kube because chances are high it's been screwed with.

J.LeBrasseur

Post by J.LeBrasseur » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:06 pm

I think the common stuff may be down a little, and very little, but everything I want is still expensive, IMO

James
J.LeBrasseur

badener
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by badener » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:17 pm

A 23% auction fee is enough to keep casual bidders away. :D
It must be a Bavarian. They always smell the worst!

edwin
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by edwin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:06 pm

badener wrote:A 23% auction fee is enough to keep casual bidders away. :D
Parasites... :-P

Regards,

Edwin