2016 SOS new items

Gustaf

Staff member
I thought we needed a thread for all the new goodies we got at SOS this year, my bag is a little light, but I did get a couple of 13.2mm T-Gewehr rounds, an interesting tourniquet, a Troddel and a shell to make a base for our Tower of London Poppy, all we need now is a glass bell jar to fit.

stuka f said:
And what is the button!??
It is a British General service button, my first purchase for $2. I needed one for a cap, but I needed the size smaller. I did pick up a few things before we got to Kentucky, and I will post some photos when we finally get unpacked. My bank account was rather thin this year, but the main reason I go to SOS is to meet friends, and the hall was filled to the brim with them:) but it would always be nice to have more.

ww1czechlegion said:
Excellent finds Gus, congratulations! =D>

First time I've seen the German tourniquet pouch/bag.

Best Regards,

Alan
I have seen a lot of fakes on the market, probably from Bulgaria, this is the first I had see like this and I guess with that ans an ambulance, I am now collecting medical stuff.

randy trawnik said:
Hey!! I get a little credit as I found it for him. Ha Ha!
Not only that, you helped find the one who found a pair of pajama bottoms for me, networking with the whole group makes collecting easy and fun. Thanks Randy!

J.LeBrasseur said:
I am still looing for slippers for you.....

There is a pair out there some where, I really did not expect to find a second robe after letting the first one get away.

Here is a foto of a picture I purchased at the SOS. The details are crisp and it is unusual to see the Rgt number on the shoulder strap (10). I am presuming 10th feld artillery due to the white belt being worn. However, if I am wrong please let me know.

Other items from my meagre SOS purchases:

Officer spike base, Reichs kokarde (always needed), Neusilber OR's screw spike for a trichtered regt (rare), and a Brit corporal's stripe older style. Why the stripe? As some may know, my Scottish grandfather John Foster, was in the Highland Light infantry from 1914 until the end of the war. The only picture I have of him in uniform shows him wearing this style of stripe and a LG instructor badge, these items along with his medals have disappeared over time. Consequently, I decided to collect some relevant items to display along with the pic that I have. This almost completes the set, I have the cap badge, LG badge and now the stripe. I may hold off and look for a double wound stripe as he was wounded twice.

Adding 2 last pics of the M95 marked to JR97 that I bought at the show, original kokarden and chin strap, great condition but no liner.

Here is an update on my SOS acquisitions. I took a mannequin with the Lazerattkleid I acquired from Jeff at AGM just before the show, Randy stopped by our table and asked why I had that on the table and I replied that I was looking for the trousers to go with the Lazerattkleid. He replied "oh" and left. About an hour later, he came back and told me to go talk to David at the table next to his. David gave me the link to the Collector's Guild web site where they had a pair of convalescent trousers for sale. The whole point of this post is to point out that Colonel Joe has been saying all along that we need to be part of the group to be able to network to find the things we want and help others find what they are looking for. Jeff, Randy, David and even Pete at the Collector's Guild are members of this community and I am indebted to all of them for helping be put together a nearly complete convalescing German soldier impression of WWI, now I just need to find the slippers.

I forgot about the wicker laundry basket that some one handed me at the closing of SOS because he did not want to have to carry it home.

Here is a photo from the Johan Maurer collection showing the garments in use, when a German soldier was wounded, his uniform would be taken and a notation in his Soldbuch made, he would be issued a robe and trousers to wear while in the Lazeratt and when he was discharged, he would be issued the uniform of another soldier who was entering the hospital. Germany was so short on uniforms that this was necessary to keep the Army clothed. This photo was taken in 1917.

Talking about the shortage of uniforms: I interviewed a vet who had entered the Army in 1916, in 1917 his regiment was inspected by the Kaiser. For this inspection they were issued new uniforms, after the inspection the new uniforms were collected and his original uniform reissued to him. He went through to the end of the war wearing the same uniform, other than the day WRII showed up.

aicusv said:
Talking about the shortage of uniforms: I interviewed a vet who had entered the Army in 1916, in 1917 his regiment was inspected by the Kaiser. For this inspection they were issued new uniforms, after the inspection the new uniforms were collected and his original uniform reissued to him. He went through to the end of the war wearing the same uniform, other than the day WRII showed up.
I have read the same accounts in many places about new uniforms being issued for inspection and then the old uniforms returned after. Most of us can not really appreciate how valuable and rare clothing was 100 years ago. Modern farming and modern manufacturing has made fiber plentiful and cheap.

Back