2016 SOS new items

James wanted the artillery shell that I picked up at SOS, so I though I would show him why I wanted it, I finished the display stand for our Tower of London Poppy today, with a WWI dated 155mm artillery shell for the base and a 5 1/2 inch by 13 inch bell jar to protect the poppy from dust we have in our area.

Very cool Gus, I see 4 different coloured slippers being worn in that pic. Was there a standard army issue???

b.loree said:
Very cool Gus, I see 4 different coloured slippers being worn in that pic. Was there a standard army issue???
I think they were standard hospital issue, I like the pair on the extreme right, with the flowered or checkered pattern. I suspect they used what ever fabric that was available, I have an Austrian helmet that has paisley pattern fabric in the liner.

Nice items indeed all! Thanks for sharing the photos. Gus, the poppy display is pretty cool. I've never seen that before.

Was it also possible that some soldiers may have received slippers from home, if the family knew they were wounded and in the Krankenhaus?

:D Ron

Great picture.
Gus, was it mandatory, at the Lazarett, to wear your military Muetze even when in your pajama and slippers?..

911car said:
Great picture.
Gus, was it mandatory, at the Lazarett, to wear your military Muetze even when in your pajama and slippers?..
I do not know, but I seldom see a bare head in photos.

Going back through a couple of Soldbucher, I noticed that the Mutze is classified as personal clothing and would not be surrendered when entering the Lazeratt. When you are accustom to wearing a head cover, you do it out of habit rather than on order (in my opinion). Even photos of German POWs where they have lost their Mutze, they are wearing US overseas caps or US winter caps. If you keep your head covered, you can stay warmer. In the photo above, even the hospital orderly is wearing some sort of head cover. It is an interesting question that needs further study.

I can easily imagine that there was a standing order for Mutzes to be worn out of doors for warmth (along with woolen socks) and possibly for military reasons. One could easily imagine that in cooler weather, they'd even be worn indoors.
If I get a chance this weekend, I'll share some photos I took a couple of years ago of a wonderful display of WWI medical equipment in Essen. I'll see if I can find the photos.

poniatowski said:
I can easily imagine that there was a standing order for Mutzes to be worn out of doors for warmth (along with woolen socks) and possibly for military reasons. One could easily imagine that in cooler weather, they'd even be worn indoors.
If I get a chance this weekend, I'll share some photos I took a couple of years ago of a wonderful display of WWI medical equipment in Essen. I'll see if I can find the photos.

I would like to see that, I think that is the same display that Randy mentioned at SOS

Gustaf said:
James wanted the artillery shell that I picked up at SOS, so I though I would show him why I wanted it, I finished the display stand for our Tower of London Poppy today, with a WWI dated 155mm artillery shell for the base and a 5 1/2 inch by 13 inch bell jar to protect the poppy from dust we have in our area.

I heard the poppies have gone up in price at an alarming rate. These are more valuable now than many actual WWI items!
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/war-veterans-fury-tower-london-4912253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, they are being offered for a very high price. There was a long time after the end of the display when you could not find one for sale. It would take a crazy amount of money for me to part with mine though.

dick roback said:
Gus; I'm wondering if that wicker basket is for a heavy artillery shell casing?? 15cm maybe?? Very cool if it is!! Cheers Dick
I think a bit bigger, it measures 24cm on the inside and is about a meter tall. It is dated 1938 and unfortunately is not mine. A friend bought it at the last minute at SOS for 50 bucks and realized he could not take it home on the plane so he asked me to haul it west for him. It may be years before I get to Montana to deliver it, but he might come by before then.

poniatowski said:
Hey Gus,

Is that your pet rattle snake under the stove?

You have better eyes than I do:) My mother won that at a party years ago and could not keep it in the house at the ranch as one of the cowboys was deathly afraid of snakes so she gave it to me.

I actually slept with the snake wrapped around my neck last time I was at Gus's, it made me feel tough.

FYI Gus is no longer allowed at our tables at SOS, to many purchases he made, that none of us saw at all, not right and not ok

Gus is therefore boycotted

James

You were in Indiana before I acquired the basket, that was about 10:00 in the morning on Saturday. But you have not seen the stuff I got in Colorado on the way over yet:)

Here are a few of the items that I picked up on the way to Kentucky, as well as 4 stretchers, 2 commercial models and 2 long truck models.

Here is a cool foot locker named to a Capt. in the Sanitary Corps

And a few things in it, they are not original to the foot locker and the Canadian knife was sent to me by a friend just before I left for Kentucky, named to a fellow in the Canadian Medical Corps, I guess I have to show everything I get to satisfy James now.

I just remembered that I also picked up an American MK I grenade with a MK I fuse and a very nice British #5 grenade, I am beginning to wonder what else I got on this trip:)

They say "confession is good for the soul" Gus, I am sure you must feel better for posting these pics rather than keeping things secret :D. Don't mind James, he will have cooled off by the time the next SOS comes along.

Back