2016 SOS Table Layout

Does anybody have a table they might be willing to share? Anybody interested in having a table helper? I'm on the wait list for a table, but I think the prospects of actually securing a spot look slim at this stage.

I'm committed to going to the show and will fly in Wednesday PM and fly out Saturday PM. I'm bringing a dozen or so helmets with me, so it's going to be a bummer if I have to lug all that stuff back without selling anything.

I'm looking forward to seeing you pickelhaube guys. Is anybody bringing sandwich makings this year? If so, I'd like to go in on that. The food at the show sucks and it's been nice in the past to have an alternative to show food.

Mark D.

I think it is a little late to get a helper badge, as by now all the tables are sold and the paper work is surely done, I might point out that the rules have changed regarding badges, they will not go into full effect this year, but the use of someone else's badge can get both parties ejected from the show. Next year, violating the rules can get you banned from future shows as well. The only way to get a helper badge is to make arrangements with a table holder now for next year and pay up front. This may seem a little harsh, but there were a few thefts last year, and it was apparent that these thefts happened during the time when people were allowed in with badges and that means that security needs to be improved during set up time. The show organizers work hard to provide us with this exceptional venue and we need to be supportive of their efforts and help enforce the rules that will keep this the best show in the world.

Weather looks to be a VAST improvement from last year and even more from two years ago (when it was bitter cold). This year should be in the 40s but could even be in the 50s. That would be so great. Anything other than bone chilling cold is good enough!

Peter_Suciu said:
Weather looks to be a VAST improvement from last year and even more from two years ago (when it was bitter cold). This year should be in the 40s but could even be in the 50s. That would be so great. Anything other than bone chilling cold is good enough!
Yeah right, last year we left home in mid 60s weather and arrived in Minnesota where is was -27 Kelvin, the only snow we saw was in the parking lot of the Expo center

I just received the OVMS newsletter today. Big news... Greg will be stepping down as business manager at the end of the year and Bill Combs will be moving from President to business manager. While Greg was always fair and honest, I'm very happy for Bill. I'm sure he'll do fine.

However, I was disappointed to hear that the new hall and table layout only means a few more tables. I'm glad it will mean one big hall but I really had hoped there would be more tables - especially since the National Gun Day Show won't be the same weekend. I would have liked to see some of the dealers who attended that show come to SOS, but that may not be the case simply because there isn't the extra room.

I will add that in the end the gun show didn't really bring traffic to SOS. It just meant those of us who were there for five days had a second show to browse. I typically found something I wanted at the gun show. What always struck me as odd was that attendees at the gun show didn't come to SOS. I can see if you are into just hunting rifles, but given that many militaria dealers set up there you'd think that anyone interested in that stuff would head to SOS as well.

The good news with the two shows not being on the same weekend is that now all the dealers will stick around instead of sneaking out to the other show.

I think it might be a tough job for Bill, he is too nice. Greg was not flexible in his running of the show, but that is what is needed for a venue so big, or people will take advantage. A few small concessions can derail a big undertaking, so I think it is important to support Bill and follow his rule with out complaining and pitch in when ever we can to help.

I just got my newsletter as well, and was bummed to see not many new table where added, I thought that was the main purpose. Oh well at least we are all in the same hall now.

James

J.LeBrasseur said:
I just got my newsletter as well, and was bummed to see not many new table where added, I thought that was the main purpose. Oh well at least we are all in the same hall now.

It was finding a date that would work I believe more than just going for the big hall. They discussed March and even April but couldn't make it work due to conflicts. I believe it was even suggested that SOS be given a smaller hall and OVMS said they'd move it to another city first.

The problem is that SOS and OVMS are small fish. If you only attend small gun shows or small militaria shows SOS might seem huge. Those that go to regional trade shows understand and anyone who goes to a national or international trade show really understands that SOS is unfortunately really small time!

I was talking to a couple of guys in line last year and one said, "SOS must be one of the biggest things this hall gets, they should give it more respect," and I quickly said, "not by a long shot." The Expo Center hosts the regional helicopter trade show (HAI HELI-EXPO 2016) - which is now the week that SOS used to be. So that forced SOS to move.

That means every TV/radio station, police and fire department from a dozen states comes to town. To accommodate all the attendees that means people stay at hotels in Indiana! SOS doesn't come close.

SOS brings in a couple thousand people and most of the gate is totally local. The helicopter show from what I read has 20,000 attendees and needs 1.2 million square feet of exhibit space! In other words the helicopter show also takes over all the halls in the Expo Center. So the Expo Center moves heaven and earth to make them happy. When a trade show comes to town like that every hotel, restaurant and bar knows it! I bet SOS comes and goes and most people in Louisville hardly notice.

And HAI HELI-EXPO is actually small. Consider that SHOT Show in Vegas last week had 30,000 people and CES at the beginning of the month had 125,000 attendees. Trade shows are a big deal and unfortunately the Expo Center is trying to get more events... that pushes out things like SOS sadly. I hope I'm wrong but at some point SOS may have to find another home because it isn't big enough for the Expo Center, and it doesn't bring in enough attendees to make the local businesses fight to want it.

I understand that Bill was the one who was trying to move SOS to Bismark ND, maybe this can happen now.

I appreciate Peter's analysis of the SOS situation...very revealing...how can anyone compete against choppers and probably remote controlled drone choppers etc as well??? :( I am sure that Pete is looking into writing for magazines in this area as well, I know I would if my living depended upon free lance work. You have to go where the paycheque is as does the Expo Centre. However, I ain't goin to ND in Feb, not going to happen.

b.loree said:
I am sure that Pete is looking into writing for magazines in this area as well, I know I would if my living depended upon free lance work. You have to go where the paycheque is as does the Expo Centre.

Brian-- You mean like a story on how the government uses drones:
http://www.governmentvideo.com/article/drones-find-increasing-use-among--non-military-government-agencies/115738" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(sorry for the shameless plug - As I told a friend yesterday I'll write about almost anything these days.)

I really just wanted to spread the word about big the helicopter show is - and I've never actually been to that one. Trade shows are so much bigger than collector shows. Even the San Diego Comic Con, which is huge in terms of collector/fan shows, is small by comparison. I just have heard rumbling that OVMS dropped the ball by allowing their week to be taken over. When you see the size of the draw for a trade show you'll kick out anything that stands in its way.

joerookery said:
Have they announced the dates for the 2017 show?

No, but in theory it should be the same weekend. This is the weekend for now from what we've been told - provided another large trade show doesn't bump SOS.

At the 11th hour I managed to wrangle a pair of tables with a friend. We don't have any pickelhaubes this time around, but do have a few WWI steel helmets and uniforms in case anybody wants to take a looksee and talk shop.

I'll look for folks at the LeBrasseur table.

Mark D.

b.loree said:
The Lebrasseur bros James and Paul have tables..... myself and Gus will be based there. There will be a large forum banner (logo) placed above those tables, so you should be able to track us down. We were in the smaller room last year but I have no clue where we will be in 2016. Peter S also has his own set of tables at the SOS as does Randy T from Age of Kings.

Back