A Fähnrich or Fahnenjuncker helmet from the Garde : Before and after.

CLOVIS 57

Here's the helmet, as I acquired it. Complete, but more than a little weathered and oxidized. No restoration as such, just a cleaning, to give it back the shine of yesteryear.

BEFORE :

P1010348.JPGP1010349.JPG P1010350.JPG
AFTER :

P1010361.JPGP1010362.JPGP1010363.JPG Extra-Helm Eigentum for officer cadets. Identical to that of a 0fficier. Perlring and 0fficier trimmings and cocades, but without the stars, and with a full-crown, screw-fastened M60 Adler-Guard and a Stern-Guard for enlisted.

Last edited:
I know I'm in the minority, but I like a little patina.

You did a fantastic job for what you were going for. (y)(y)
I cannot help but what to agree, at least on items that have never been cleaned, personally I probably would not have shined it, only cleaned it up a bit, however you are correct to say that this has been done well.

Last edited:
The patina will return in three months and there will be no trace of cleaning.

Thank GOD that hasn't been my experience. If every helmet needed to be cleaned every three months I would lose my mind.

I guess I'm lucky I've gotten by with just keeping up with dusting.

Maybe it has to do with the condition and climate of the rooms where we display our collections.

Thank you gentlemen for your comments. Rest assured, I only clean very dirty helmets when I receive them, and then I don't touch them again. Here it's flashy because I've just cleaned it, but the patina will slowly come back. After that, I just dust them with a blush brush and vacuum with a Dyson.
Beautiful! What did you use to clean the various parts?
Chemical deoxidizing action:
White vinegar at 14°, bicarbonate of soda, or oxalic acid mixed with flour to make a paste and avoid drips on leather.
Wipe off after 1 day, then wash thoroughly with soapy water to neutralize the acid or vinegar. Dry with a dry cloth and polish with a wool cloth. If you want to keep the shine, simply brush on a beeswax (known as Parquet wax). It leaves an invisible film after drying, won't grease or stain.
Gentle physical action:
Steel wool 0000, polishing paste such as "silver stone or white clay", rubbed with a micro-fiber cloth. Always protect the edge of the leather with a spatula, a sheet of Albal (kitchen foil), (no masking tape, because of the glue!)

Last edited:
As already said on other forums, two reasons for me, not to do that. Cloclo my friend, you´ll not be surprised by the following lines ;)
Here my personal advocacy:

1) A patina of several decades lends a totally unique charm to an object that has been totally untouched since it was last used during the period of interest to us. I would even go so far as to compare this charm to a pedigree. It's an integral part of the object's history. Unfortunately, the term patina is often equated with grime by some collectors.

2) Patina is also a guarantee of authenticity. It allows us to detect very easily and very quickly whether the object has been the prey of more or less skilful manipulations, restorations or changes in the past. To put it plainly: it immediately rules out the fact of a later assembly of parts not born together on a shell. Simply said: a parts helmet with the resulting loss of value on eventual resale on later date...

Furthermore, the claim that cleaned and polished metal regains its original patina after only a few weeks or months is erroneous. The metal surface will always have an "in-between" appearance, and will no longer perfectly match the condition of the leather surface, which can never be polished like the metal, unless it too is artificially rejuvenated by being completely re-rubbed...

It's simply a fact: in 99% of cases, it will always be totally impossible to restore our helmets to their former shiny glory.
Any attempt to do so will be quickly exposed as a modern intervention in the soul of an untouched object.

These are only my two cents....

Philippe

Last edited:
Nice job congratulations just a shame about the original paint on the sheet metal. Patina can be done with chemicals, the matter is quite simple. But to maintain this condition you can use beeswax or tung oil (drying time about 4 hours) or apply Golden Varnish from a recipe from the old days. As for cleaning the sheet metal, it can be done chemically with household chemicals.

As already said on other forums, two reasons for me, not to do that. Cloclo my friend, you´ll not be surprised by the following lines ;)
Here my personal advocacy:Ce ne sont que mes deux cents....
Philippe
Hi Philippe,

I understand and thank you for giving us your opinion, which I don't disagree with. That's why I always put together a "photo file" and keep the initial state in my archives.

I don't touch 90% of the helmets I buy. Only those that are excessively corroded or deformed are restored.

About ten years ago, I acquired a Bavarian M96 from a cellar or attic in Ciney, complete but in a wreck. Offered at a fair price, it was still on sale at noon! A careful examination didn't reveal any markings, but I suspected nickel silver fittings, despite the beautiful "chocolate" patina. At home, cleaning revealed the Leib-Regiment markings... I didn't touch the leather, except for reshaping it. No parts have been changed. I didn't touch the rivets on the iron-grey tip base, showing a 1915-era assembly. Also of note are the small aluminum plugs, "Parisian-style fasteners", a wartime expedient unique to Bavaria, for plugging the old M1886 holes.

Bay 1IR Bibi 350€ Ciney17 à l'achat.JPGBay1IR Bibi Ciney17 APRES.JPGBay1  IR Bibi350€ Ciney AVANT.JPGBay1 IR Bibi 350€   Ciney APRES.JPGBay1IR  Ciney Bibi marquage.JPG

In my display case, it now really looks like a Leib, no longer an infantryman's wreck. ;)

Last edited:
I also have something not moved by collectors. The belt only to be glued. Put together with bows and so I leave it for future collectors.

Attachments

• IMG_20240315_125045.jpg
    IMG_20240315_125045.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240315_125017.jpg
    IMG_20240315_125017.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240315_124954.jpg
    IMG_20240315_124954.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240315_124927.jpg
    IMG_20240315_124927.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240315_124855.jpg
    IMG_20240315_124855.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
Here my personal advocacy:

1) A patina of several decades lends a totally unique charm to an object that has been totally untouched since it was last used during the period of interest to us. I would even go so far as to compare this charm to a pedigree. It's an integral part of the object's history. Unfortunately, the term patina is often equated with grime by some collectors.

2) Patina is also a guarantee of authenticity. It allows us to detect very easily and very quickly whether the object has been the prey of more or less skilful manipulations, restorations or changes in the past. To put it plainly: it immediately rules out the fact of a later assembly of parts not born together on a shell. Simply said: a parts helmet with the resulting loss of value on eventual resale on later date...

Furthermore, the claim that cleaned and polished metal regains its original patina after only a few weeks or months is erroneous. The metal surface will always have an "in-between" appearance, and will no longer perfectly match the condition of the leather surface, which can never be polished like the metal, unless it too is artificially rejuvenated by being completely re-rubbed...

It's simply a fact: in 99% of cases, it will always be totally impossible to restore our helmets to their former shiny glory.
Any attempt to do so will be quickly exposed as a modern intervention in the soul of an untouched object.

These are only my two cents....

Philippe

Hi Philippe, I completely agree 100% (y)(y)

It's always good to meet a fellow collector who feels the same way, and I think we are not alone.

I've been in the hobby a long time and have met countless other collectors and while we may sometimes disagree with what we do with our collections our love for our collections is the same and makes us like a family.

regards John Josef

Back