A Message To New Pickelhaube Collectors

I missed buying that helmet yesterday
Of this quality you'll find many more, there were quite a few issues with this one. Having said that, it has helped me enormously to have a similar helmet (from my link above) in hand, and study many details. It made buying subsequent helmets much easier.

A good rule to follow in the world of pickelhauben, is to buy the best condition possible even if it costs you a bit more. All of these pieces have to be resold down the road and it is far easier to resell good quality than something with problems.
So true.

A good friend of mine who was something of a mentor when I was getting started collecting told me:

"Never buy anything that you will need to makes excuses for" It's a very good rule to follow.

Hello,
Hello,
I agree with what has been said here.
---Your Bavarian plate is an M1896 for the line infantry. On the photo, the M1886 (the largest) and the M1914 (the medium), were among others for officers, but rather with all openwork crowns.
---Yes, this is a mobilisation helmet, (old leather bomb, but with visor and neck-cover in vulkanised fibre (thin and black).
The hexagonal nut under the neck-cover is period fitted on mobilisation helmets, Ersatz, in sheet metal, etc...
---Lastly, you have to look at the quality/price ratio. The schell is in good condition, the Landwehr-kreuz is missing, but a Bavarian active service plate is easy to find. On the other hand, as mentioned above, you shouldn't spend more than 300€ on this helmet, because in France, a Bavarian nickel silver cocade costs 100€, a Reichskokarde 80€, and a brass-trimmed chinstrap, 200€. These are items that are very often missing and very much in demand.

Attachments

• Bay. M86 M96 M14.jpg
    Bay. M86 M96 M14.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 8
Here is the private purchase officer version of this Bavarian wappen. Note only the central crown is pierced and how much larger it is than the OR’s. Another feature is the soldered prongs on the reverse rather than the typical screw posts. I have been told that this represents wartime production. The pink shades on this were caused by sonic cleaning. This can be removed.
IMG_0295.jpeg
IMG_0296.jpeg

Hello B.Loree,
Yes, your plate is the 1914 model, for officers. It is an intermediate size between the old M1886 plate and the M1896 troop plate. Since 14 it no longer has any foliage branches. The folding lugs are indeed a war production.

Hello,
I have recently purchased some WW1 helmets, including what I believe to be an M1915 pickelhaube. This is my first pickelhaube and am not completely sure of its authenticity. Admittedly I have not done a lot of research about what to look for so I am a bit uncertain. There are no visible markings inside that I can see, and I believe the chinstrap may be a replacement. Most of the liner has come off. I would like to know what others think.
Thanks!

Attachments

• F6D0F681-86F4-415F-8106-FBA627CAD3A5.jpeg
    F6D0F681-86F4-415F-8106-FBA627CAD3A5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • F3EF7E08-4CF1-4F9F-970C-BFA5BA9A4914.jpeg
    F3EF7E08-4CF1-4F9F-970C-BFA5BA9A4914.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 857FE93D-8347-44BB-AA95-21D55C4D5053.jpeg
    857FE93D-8347-44BB-AA95-21D55C4D5053.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • BA5FFBD4-0003-47B3-8FEB-3EE3AB54E104.jpeg
    BA5FFBD4-0003-47B3-8FEB-3EE3AB54E104.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 739ADA07-BCA3-4035-AE15-C30148C1D1DE.jpeg
    739ADA07-BCA3-4035-AE15-C30148C1D1DE.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • F3032819-AF77-4E63-90F8-C272AD976CF8.jpeg
    F3032819-AF77-4E63-90F8-C272AD976CF8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 25
Hi Zeebas,
I think it is an original enlisted men M15 helmet, but with some issues.
  • It is similar to the Bavarian M15 helmet discussed earlier in this thread in that it seems to be made of an older helmet that is cut down (reduced in height), then supplied with new visors and field grey iron fittings. This is a wartime expediency, and very likely original. The inside has been greased (most likely by a collector), turning the leather very dark and making any marking harder / impossible to read.
  • The liner (what remains of it) appears to be an officer model, glued into the helmet, I doubt that is original to the helmet.
  • The spine seems original, but doesn't fit on the helmet, so I doubt that it is the original spine this helmet was issued with.
  • The spike also looks original, but has clearly been manipulated. It seems to have something inside, does it detach from the base with a "bayonet" lock? If not it might be one of the rarer, "pre-bayonet-lock" spikes.
  • It looks like there are double holes for the eagle, if this was done during the war I would expect the old holes to be neatly closed, and the new holes to have iron grommets. As this doesn't seem to be the case here, it is hard to tell whether the holes were made during the original conversion to M15, or later by a seller / collector to fit the eagle (the latter is more likely).
  • The eagle looks original (but the pictures are too blurry to be certain). A good picture from the front and back would help.
  • And finally, I agree with you, the chin strap looks like a reproduction.
All in all, I see this as a helmet assembled from parts, but which still displays nicely :)
Regards,
Lars

Hi Zeebas,
I think it is an original enlisted men M15 helmet, but with some issues.
  • It is similar to the Bavarian M15 helmet discussed earlier in this thread in that it seems to be made of an older helmet that is cut down (reduced in height), then supplied with new visors and field grey iron fittings. This is a wartime expediency, and very likely original. The inside has been greased (most likely by a collector), turning the leather very dark and making any marking harder / impossible to read.
  • The liner (what remains of it) appears to be an officer model, glued into the helmet, I doubt that is original to the helmet.
  • The spine seems original, but doesn't fit on the helmet, so I doubt that it is the original spine this helmet was issued with.
  • The spike also looks original, but has clearly been manipulated. It seems to have something inside, does it detach from the base with a "bayonet" lock? If not it might be one of the rarer, "pre-bayonet-lock" spikes.
  • It looks like there are double holes for the eagle, if this was done during the war I would expect the old holes to be neatly closed, and the new holes to have iron grommets. As this doesn't seem to be the case here, it is hard to tell whether the holes were made during the original conversion to M15, or later by a seller / collector to fit the eagle (the latter is more likely).
  • The eagle looks original (but the pictures are too blurry to be certain). A good picture from the front and back would help.
  • And finally, I agree with you, the chin strap looks like a reproduction.
All in all, I see this as a helmet assembled from parts, but which still displays nicely :)
Regards,
Lars
Thank you Lars for the information. I had hoped most parts would be original to the helmet, and although it is a parts helmet I agree it still looks nice displayed. Here are some images of the eagle, outside and inside.
I also noticed that one of the studs connecting the spike base to the leather is missing and has been filled in with some sort of glue. Should I do anything about that or leave it be?
Thanks

Attachments

• 181347EA-4141-4284-B0EB-950B006614C8.jpeg
    181347EA-4141-4284-B0EB-950B006614C8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • F86CF3F4-98C6-4751-9A02-C27063AF6A31.jpeg
    F86CF3F4-98C6-4751-9A02-C27063AF6A31.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Hi Zeebas,
The eagle looks original to me.
I would replace the glue with a stud (could use a repro), and also add (repro) cockades to add some colour to the helmet.

Does the spike detach from the base?
Regards,
Lars

Hi Lars,
Thanks for the advice. I believe the spike detaches, as I see some sort of lock mechanism. I have tried to remove the spike but it does not budge, I think it may be stuck so I have not tried using too much force in fear of damaging something.

I would like to show a few of my Bavarian pickelhelms here. Also how the size of the coat of arms has changed.

Attachments

• DSCN4296.JPG
    DSCN4296.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • DSCN4297.JPG
    DSCN4297.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCN4298.JPG
    DSCN4298.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCN4299.JPG
    DSCN4299.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN4300.JPG
    DSCN4300.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN4301.JPG
    DSCN4301.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN4302.JPG
    DSCN4302.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Zee the M15 spike is meant to twist off. Some times though, they do get stuck. You might carefully apply some WD40 but don’t get any on the leather.

Back