A new project for Peter.

Naprawiacz

I started the work by taking the object apart and cleaning the wappen,which was painted with gold paint used in the restoration of mirror frames and paintings.Such paintings are 99% from France and I call them French repairs.Each country has its own specific repairs that need to be corrected.

Attachments

• DSC06562.JPG
    DSC06562.JPG
    732.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC06564.JPG
    DSC06564.JPG
    836.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC06565.JPG
    DSC06565.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 37
Can I ask what you used to take the paint off the Wappen?

I have a Baden M15 that I was able to rescue from my Wifes side of the family years ago that her relative brought back from the war. Sadly, her uncles had painted all the grey fittings and Wappen with silver paint 50 years ago "to make it look cool" :cry:

I've never felt confident enough to tackle the fix without fear of damage. Thanks John

Can I ask what you used to take the paint off the Wappen?

I have a Baden M15 that I was able to rescue from my Wifes side of the family years ago that her relative brought back from the war. Sadly, her uncles had painted all the grey fittings and Wappen with silver paint 50 years ago "to make it look cool" :cry:

I've never felt confident enough to tackle the fix without fear of damage. Thanks John
Your wappen John is painted with feldgru paint,that's why my method will not be effective.I can recommend you a French remover for removing old coatings called 3V3.I removed one layer of paint with it.In September 1945 the last Wehrmacht unit surrendered leaving a mass of equipment to the Norwegians.All the equipment was taken over by the civil defense repainting it in its own color.In the photos the stretcher from which one layer was removed.The remedy is very strong and first make some tests on other objects covered with paint.https://www.leroymerlin.pl/produkty/farby-i-lakiery/rozpuszczalniki-rozcienczalniki/preparaty-do-usuwania-powlok-malarskich/srodek-do-usuwania-starych-powlok-1-l-v33-41229594.html

Attachments

• DSC06115.JPG
    DSC06115.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • DSC06112.JPG
    DSC06112.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC06107.JPG
    DSC06107.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
Your wappen John is painted with feldgru paint,that's why my method will not be effective.I can recommend you a French remover for removing old coatings called 3V3.I removed one layer of paint with it.In September 1945 the last Wehrmacht unit surrendered leaving a mass of equipment to the Norwegians.All the equipment was taken over by the civil defense repainting it in its own color.In the photos the stretcher from which one layer was removed.The remedy is very strong and first make some tests on other objects covered with paint.https://www.leroymerlin.pl/produkty/farby-i-lakiery/rozpuszczalniki-rozcienczalniki/preparaty-do-usuwania-powlok-malarskich/srodek-do-usuwania-starych-powlok-1-l-v33-41229594.html

Thanks much for the information I going to have a look and see if I can find it (y)

French repairs
Are you sure these are repairs?
The Wappen on three of my M95 EM helmets look very similar, clearly painted, and oxidized where the paint has disappeared, however the back still shows the undamaged paint. Imo the paint on my three Wappen is original, not a repair.
Are there any indications that the Wappen were repainted? Do you have a picture of the back before cleaning?
Regards,
Lars

Are you sure these are repairs?
The Wappen on three of my M95 EM helmets look very similar, clearly painted, and oxidized where the paint has disappeared, however the back still shows the undamaged paint. Imo the paint on my three Wappen is original, not a repair.
Are there any indications that the Wappen were repainted? Do you have a picture of the back before cleaning?
Regards,
Lars
Fortunately, I have not yet cleaned the back of the wappen.Lars judge for yourself.

Attachments

• DSC06562.JPG
    DSC06562.JPG
    732.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC06565.JPG
    DSC06565.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC06563.JPG
    DSC06563.JPG
    751.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC06567.JPG
    DSC06567.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Hi Wojtek,

Took some pictures, and I see the same paint spilling over from the front on my Wappen (clearly visible at the back of the "little eagle"). Due to the quality of the painting, the way that on some spots the paint seems to have been intentionally removed to shine the brass underneath (in an effort to mimic the officer's Wappen with highlighted sections, we did the same when I was in military service), and the fact that one of these helmets seems otherwise "untouched", I get the strong impression that this paint is not a repair, but rather original to the Wappen.

My "painted" helmets are dated 1906 and later, my older M95 EM have unpainted brass only.

I guess only "directly from the family" helmets could confirm whether paint is original to Wappen, in the meantime I would consider the possibility that paint could be original to Wappen.

Regards,
Lars

Wappen Front_Small.jpg
Wappen Back_Small.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Wojtek,

Took some pictures, and I see the same paint spilling over from the front on my Wappen (clearly visible at the back of the "little eagle"). Due to the quality of the painting, the way that on some spots the paint seems to have been intentionally removed to shine the brass underneath (in an effort to mimic the officer's Wappen with highlighted sections, we did the same when I was in military service), and the fact that one of these helmets seems otherwise "untouched", I get the strong impression that this paint is not a repair, but rather original to the Wappen.

My "painted" helmets are dated 1906 and later, my older M95 EM have unpainted brass only.

I guess only "directly from the family" helmets could confirm whether paint is original to Wappen, in the meantime I would consider the possibility that paint could be original to Wappen.

Regards,
Lars

View attachment 42557
View attachment 42558
Lars your wappens were not painted,they are just dirty.See my photos again,and you will see the difference.Have a nice day.
Wojtek

Thanks Wojtek,
They are painted, and where the paint is missing the metal underneath has oxidized; easier to see with Wappen in hand, maybe better to see in this close-up.
Regards,
Lars

View attachment 42559
Lars it is not a problem,it just requires a little work and you will be satisfied.Only in this case you need to clean all the hardware.After three months everything will patinate nicely and there will be no trace of cleaning.

Attachments

• DSC06574.JPG
    DSC06574.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
I am with Lars on this issue, this “paint” is original and put on to simulate gilding on OR’s wappen. I have seen this many times especially on Prussian pieces….. and yes, there is always “splash “ paint on the reverse. It looks like the front of each piece was dipped.

Last edited:
Such paintings are 99% from France and I call them French repairs.Each country has its own specific repairs that need to be corrected.
Hi,
I am living in Germany since the end of the 80's but as a French collector who also is member on other french forums, I never heard of this "specific" modern practice for France :oops: I also saw some painted wappen coming from other countries...
I´m with Lars too. maybe is the word "paint" not the right word because there were for sure differents gilding methods.
I also own some helmets with this partial lost of thin gilding and oxidised metal underneath.
Philippe

Hi,
I am living in Germany since the end of the 80's but as a French collector who also is member on other french forums, I never heard of this "specific" modern practice for France :oops: I also saw some painted wappen coming from other countries...
I´m with Lars too. maybe is the word "paint" not the right word because there were for sure differents gilding methods.
I also own some helmets with this partial lost of thin gilding and oxidised metal underneath.
Philippe
Philippe don't take it deeply to heart.My term French repairs stems from the fact that years ago 80% of the helmets for restoration I ordered with a colleague from France where the prices were half cheaper than in Germany.We have created our own industry language, in which painting brass parts with paint is called French repairs, filling holes in helmet leather with car putty is called German repairs, artificially aging metal with pig urine is called Chinese repairs, and so on.Everyone in the world is trying to counterfeit goods, and unfortunately this is already the norm.If after wiping the brass parts with a cloth soaked in acetone, the paint comes off, then 100% it is not gilding.I do not want to convince anyone, because everyone has his own rationale and knowledge.Warm greetings
Wojtek

Back