A sad M 1860

Markgraf, many thanks for the additional photos…always a good thing to see and learn more. One more comment regarding this helmets markings, this time the 10C on the rear visor, likely the company number. If so, then third battalion.

Somewhere on this forum is a wonderful postcard image of a display of trophies from the Battle of Koniggratz in 1866. I have looked for it but to no avail, perhaps someone else knows where it is hiding. The display was fashioned to represent the Hapsburg Imperial Eagle and made from equipment and headgear including pickelhauben. Perhaps this old Grand Dad was captured during the war of 1866. A sad final note accompanying this posting was that the display was destroyed in the 1960’s and the relics burned. ](*,)

Markgraf please PM me your address and I will mail you the spares I have available.

Fun thread guys :thumb up:

Larmo

With generous help of Larmo, the renewed Haube:

P5157012_zps5e4e027e.jpg

P5157016_zpsc6dc8185.jpg

P5157088_zps7b7003ce.jpg

I admire it when people take the effort to restore a helmet to its former glory. Well done and its such a nice piece of history.

Regards,

Edwin

Greatly improved! Thanks for sharing. Do you have a nice stand for it that will get it off of its visors for display?

:D Ron

Ron: The helmet now can be seen in the permanent exhibition of the museum. On a stand of course, and filled with acid-free paper :)

Hi Guys

Hope you don’t mind this addition to Markgraf’s posting of “A Sad M 1860“. It occurred to me that in a race to the bottom sort of theme, you all might enjoy seeing this battered old soldier who recently came into our possession, condition-wise, I think ours is leading in the sad department.

While the helmet appears beaten to within an inch of it’s life, it remains remarkably intact for it’s age and decades of service use and neglected storage. All of the brass fittings share the same color patina and amazingly it’s original, large style Prussian Kokarde has not been lost or removed.

sad1am.jpg
sad2s.jpg
sad3g.jpg

sad3g.jpg
sad5m.jpg

What I find most interesting about this pickelhaube are the measures taken by someone long ago to keep the spike attached to the rest of the helmet. At some point in the past the spike was broken off from it’s base and re-installed using a wooden plug jammed into it’s bottom opening. the plug was then cut across its bottom with a small wooden wedge driven into the cut to keep the plug from passing out the top of the helmet. Two small steel nails were hammered through the ventilation holes in the spike base into the wooden plug, these kept the spike from twisting on the wooden plug. Quite the Fred Flintstone repair wouldn’t you say?

Inside the helmet a diamond shaped piece of thin sheet steel is held in place by the four stirrup nuts which hold the cruciform base in place. Each of these nuts has a rectangular leather washer between the nut and the steel plate. Similar stirrup nuts, and this time circular leather washers, hold the early production 1857 pattern wappen in place. Several other holes can be seen in the body where other wappen had been in place in years past.

sad9.jpg
sad10j.jpg

Very clear, hand painted unit markings can be seen on the underside of the rear visor. They were nearly invisible to the naked eye until I applied a quick swab of water across their surfaces. On the viewers left side can be seen F.B.12.R., (Fusilier Battalion 12th Regiment) and on the right a date of 1853. (Joe, if these are of any use to you please feel free to add them to your data base).

sad7c.jpg
sad8w.jpg

Lastly, I thought this might be a good opportunity to show a development transition of sorts using three different Prussian enlisted wappens. My apologies for the poor quality photographs, I should have removed the wappens from the helmets for picture taking, but I was a little concerned about applying any extra strain on this old guy.

The helmet on the left I feel represents an early, cut-down pickelhaube, unit marked to the 6th Regiment with the early style wappen with upswept wings and a hand-soldered bandeau to conform to the 1857 regulations (note the Grenadier cypher instead of the FR initials), the center helmet (our old soldier again) retains the early style wappen with upswept wings but this time with a stamped bandeau (by rights this helmet should have a wappen with a Grenadier cypher), the right hand helmet shows what I would call a typical 1860 pattern wappen on a helmet unit marked to the 76th Regiment.

sad11v.jpg
sad12.jpg

In my opinion there are many detail variations to be seen in issue wappen of this era, these three shown here offer only a small representation. However there is one characteristic they all seem to share, the small web of brass between the top of the eagles legs and the bottom of the wings. The non-pierced solid crowns seem to be typical of enlisted helmets regardless of the era.

Cheers :thumb up:

Larmo

They were nearly invisible to the naked eye until I applied a quick swab of water across their surfaces

Great advice! Thank you for the permission but I think this one might be too early for me. That water trick works frequently not all the time.

Sorry Guys, no interesting story of the helmets origins, I purchased it from southeast Pennsylvania from an EBAY store..

Larmo said:
Lastly, I thought this might be a good opportunity to show a development transition of sorts using three different Prussian enlisted wappens. My apologies for the poor quality photographs, I should have removed the wappens from the helmets for picture taking, but I was a little concerned about applying any extra strain on this old guy.

The helmet on the left I feel represents an early, cut-down pickelhaube, unit marked to the 6th Regiment with the early style wappen with upswept wings and a hand-soldered bandeau to conform to the 1857 regulations (note the Grenadier cypher instead of the FR initials), the center helmet (our old soldier again) retains the early style wappen with upswept wings but this time with a stamped bandeau (by rights this helmet should have a wappen with a Grenadier cypher), the right hand helmet shows what I would call a typical 1860 pattern wappen on a helmet unit marked to the 76th Regiment.

sad11v.jpg
sad12.jpg

In my opinion there are many detail variations to be seen in issue wappen of this era, these three shown here offer only a small representation. However there is one characteristic they all seem to share, the small web of brass between the top of the eagles legs and the bottom of the wings. The non-pierced solid crowns seem to be typical of enlisted helmets regardless of the era.

Cheers :thumb up:

Larmo

Does anyone know when the “Mit Gott Für Koenig Und Vaterland” bandeau was first used?
Some say that it was instituted in 1860 while others say 1857.

John :???:

Back