A Saxon Artillery Officer Pickelhaube

Congratulations, it’s a beautiful helmet.
Above all, Mémé32, do not touch the central emblem. The colour is only reversed for active officers.
Gold star, silver emblem and if silver star, gold emblem.
For Saxon Reserve or Landwehr officers, only the Landwehr cross is reversed, as shown here.

The case shown by Amy (Saxon macaron in the same colour as the Landwehrkreuz) is a fantasy, often encountered, but not the rule.

---Officier Rés-Lwr 0K :
View attachment 39926
In fact, it's all about alternating colours to highlight the 2 or 3 elements. Gold-Silver or Gold-Silver-Gold. Avoid using 2 identical colours in succession.

---0fficier Res-Lwr fantasy :

View attachment 39927

However, the question did not arise for enlisted soldiers, as the Saxon emblem and the Lwk were always reversed on the star,
View attachment 39928

whether with the large or small module

View attachment 39929

Clovis,
Great explanation and examples. I always assumed reserve was reversed and landwehr was the same with exception of the cross. Love to learn.

Thank you, gentlemen.
I don't have many documents (AKO) at my disposal, but I do know Jean-Louis-Larcade's 2 volumes by heart, and above all, I have 50 years' experience of observing and studying thousands of WW1 German helmets. I have 10,000 annotated photos in my digital photo library... I arrange them by subject, but it's getting harder and harder to find my way around.

The theory of the alternation of colours is not yet clear: For a reserve officer of a P.B. or the GR100, silver star, therefore gold LWK, and silver Saxon coat of arms. But... for an active officer, ...golden coat of arms.
This may explain the observation below: 100LGR 0ff Z2 Soissons21.jpg

Beautiful helmet posted here.

I like the fact that the original helmet posted has a nice Überzug

While we're on the subject of Saxon officers, a quick observation:
---Models 1867 and 1871 => short tip and standard round visor. semi-spherical hull, flat Saxon star.
Sax 0ff visière ronde 1867.GIF

Modèle après 1903 => high, thin tip, angular-rounded visor, flattened shell, prominent Saxon star. Sax 0ff visière anguleuse1903.GIF100 LGR Sax-0ff Soissons20.GIF

Once again, it's a fashion phenomenon, nothing official.

Back