A seldom one with red numbers helmet cover

argonne

This one was my last 2018 found, and maybe my best in my small humble collection.

It was worth it to drive more than 1000 miles from North Germany to pick it up in eastern France. Recently found where it has been lost, 10 September 1914 in Saint-Dié. It stood three generations in the family of the french civilian wo picked it up near the Foucharupt hospital in Saint-Dié after the retreat of the Wüttemberg units out of the Kemberg hill. Helmet cover has been period returned by wearer to hide the red numbers in field.

It hang a long time at the wall, first with the chinstrap that broke after a couple of years. It has at least be hang with one cover hook that has been bent in its initial position. Found as is, with returned cover on the helmet.

Helmet and cover were first worn together at the JR125 (Stuttgart) and moved to the 3B RJR119 (Reutlingen) just before the mobilisation. Both are stamped the same way. The old M92 Überzug with only 4 hooks initially came from the silesian 3B RJR51. As the 3Bataillon of the RJR51 was not mobilised, surnumeral equipment was given to other units. Helmet is named to Wilhelm GRIESINGER, 11/RJR119, a guy from Reutlingen with the rank of Gefreiter Tambour. He also was cyclist in his company.
I could track him in the Württemberg Kriegsstammrollen and in the Friedensstammrollen of 1908/10 as he made his active duty in the 4/JR124 (Weingarten). Because of disease, he has been first evacuated to Saint-Dié the same day as the retreat began (10.9.14). During the next night, as the RJR119 crossed back the river Meurthe as the last unit of the division, GRIESINGER was evacuated to a Strasbourg hospital. His helmet and cover were lost in Saint-Dié in the darkness. Wilhelm GRIESINGER has been killed in action through shrapnells on the 29.9.16 between Miraumont and Grandcourt at the Somme. He has been buried there...

img_4541.jpg

A scan of the 1908/10 Friedensstammrollen of the 4/JR124.

One can also see the signature of GRIESINGER as he has been liberated from his active duty. Very interesting to compare it with the hand written name in the helmet.

img_4533.jpg

Philippe
:)

Great helmet, great cover and an excellent story to go with them. It doesn’t get much better than that! :thumb up:

Congratulations on such a superb find Philippe! The helmet and cover are fantastic! =D> :bravo:

Your research on the soldier and his story are magnificent! :thumb up:

Thank you for sharing it with us!

Best Regards,

Alan

Superb :thumbright:

Wasn't there a French collector who insisted that there was no zig-zag stitching prior to 1918? It was nonsense of course.

This is marvellous. But now you have a dilemma. Überzug on and cover that superb Wappen? Or off so you can see the Überzug markings?

griesi44.jpg

Tony without Kaiser said:

Wasn't there a French collector who insisted that there was no zig-zag stitching prior to 1918? It was nonsense of course.

This is marvellous. But now you have a dilemma. Überzug on and cover that superb Wappen? Or off so you can see the Überzug markings?

That is and easy one to answer, the cover needs a common helmet as a support to display next to its helmet.

Tony without Kaiser said:

Thank for your comments!

Tony, of course, every serious collector knows that a lot of 100% original Überzüge with zig-zag stitching are in many well known collections. This french collector rather had to stop with too much french red wine....

I choosed to present the helmet in my glass case with the cover on a "semi-position", so one can see both: wappen and red numbers :D

As shown:

Philippe
:wink:

Back