ADDING PICTURES TO POST

Hi! You need to host them somewhere, then place the url in your message, highlight it and hit "Img" in one of the little boxes above the box in which you're writing your message.

Hosting is usually the main issue - after the Photobucket disaster which removed hundred of pics from this forum, some suspicion seems to be warranted about these services. I don't use any of them myself - I host my pics in the media library of my own website, and call them from there.

Actually, since hosting has become extremely cheap, you might want to follow my example and create a website with the only purpose of hosting your pictures.

Worth mentioning that users can now attach pictures to posts on the forum without having to host them elsewhere.

Wel thats a big improvement becose there have been mutch problemes with that
This website update keeps getting better an better👌👌👍👍

Jonas

Neil, it is very easy. Just go to post reply, and you click on Attachements, which you see besides Options. On the right of it. Then your downloads on your computer will open and you can select your pictures. After each picture you have loaded, just click attachements again. If you open them you'll see a little bar open, and you can add them to your post if it has loaded them. You can add 5 pictures to each post.

Greetings, Coert. :)

JoelTheSuperior said:
Worth mentioning that users can now attach pictures to posts on the forum without having to host them elsewhere.

This should be interesting. The reason Brian decided in the first iterations of the Forum to not host photos, is that people have a tendency to upload massive images direct from their cameras or devices. So whereas myself and others first resize raw images down to around 200 KB, others upload raw 6MB+ images. I checked some recent upload images, and most range from over 1 MB to a huge 7 MB. Just one 7MB image is equal to 35 re-sized images.

Unless you can code in a feature which limits image size upload to something reasonable (like most other Forums do), very quickly the server will be stuffed with massive images. And then we go back to individual image hosting as there will be no more room left.

Got it too, I always resize them before posting them. To about 50kB. If you click on them they become larger.
I hope I got it right, I am not so good with this. :wink:

Tony without Kaiser said:
This should be interesting. The reason Brian decided in the first iterations of the Forum to not host photos, is that people have a tendency to upload massive images direct from their cameras or devices. So whereas myself and others first resize raw images down to around 200 KB, others upload raw 6MB+ images. I checked some recent upload images, and most range from over 1 MB to a huge 7 MB. Just one 7MB image is equal to 35 re-sized images.

Unless you can code in a feature which limits image size upload to something reasonable (like most other Forums do), very quickly the server will be stuffed with massive images. And then we go back to individual image hosting as there will be no more room left.

Certainly an understandable concern but with the decreasing cost of storage and the availability of solutions such as Amazon S3 (where we're storing uploaded files now) it's certainly not the issue it once was. I'll be monitoring the situation of course but to be honest if they're only a few megabytes big it's really not an issue as far as I'm concerned - a 7MB image isn't the end of the world for me.

Looking at the statistics for attachments uploaded since the forum was updated, the vast majority of attachments so far have actually been less than a megabyte. In short, I think the cost of the storage is vastly outweighed by the convenience of not having to rely on other image hosting websites which may or may not still exist a few years from now.

JoelTheSuperior said:
Certainly an understandable concern but with the decreasing cost of storage and the availability of solutions such as Amazon S3 (where we're storing uploaded files now) it's certainly not the issue it once was. I'll be monitoring the situation of course but to be honest if they're only a few megabytes big it's really not an issue as far as I'm concerned - a 7MB image isn't the end of the world for me.

Looking at the statistics for attachments uploaded since the forum was updated, the vast majority of attachments so far have actually been less than a megabyte. In short, I think the cost of the storage is vastly outweighed by the convenience of not having to rely on other image hosting websites which may or may not still exist a few years from now.

Completely agree and very reassuring. Other Forums I have worked on, we made the "thumbnail" coded to appear at 900 pixels in width, so a reader could scroll through a thread and see good size images, and if wished, see the actual uploaded image by clicking on it.

As it stands now, we have to click on thumbnails over and over and over which gets repetitive.

Worth looking at I think JtS?

Tony without Kaiser said:
JoelTheSuperior said:

Completely agree and very reassuring. Other Forums I have worked on, we made the "thumbnail" coded to appear at 900 pixels in width, so a reader could scroll through a thread and see good size images, and if wished, see the actual uploaded image by clicking on it.

As it stands now, we have to click on thumbnails over and over and over which gets repetitive.

Worth looking at I think JtS?

I'll investigate when I've got some more free time. For the time being I've bumped the thumbnails up to 300x300 and allowed them to show side by side.

Hi Coert
I followed the instructions in your post but something isn't working.
I am able to add a list of photos to the "add files" box and can see that they have all been "green lined" to indicate that they have been loaded.
To get them into my post I have been pressing the "add images" button and, sure enough, on previewing, all the attachments show. BUT, when i submit the post only one attachment is present - the rest have disappeared! What am I doing wrong?
I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Peter

WEIMAR said:
Hi Coert
I followed the instructions in your post but something isn't working.
I am able to add a list of photos to the "add files" box and can see that they have all been "green lined" to indicate that they have been loaded.
To get them into my post I have been pressing the "add images" button and, sure enough, on previewing, all the attachments show. BUT, when i submit the post only one attachment is present - the rest have disappeared! What am I doing wrong?
I'd be grateful for any assistance.

Peter

That's certainly strange - can you link me to a post where this has happened?

Also worth mentioning that you don't have to click the add images button to add them to the post - once they're attached if you haven't explicitly added them to a specific part of the post it'll show them at the bottom.

Hi Coert
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.
A couple of days ago I posted an item into Pickelhaube Discussion entitled "Fixed spike M15 helmets".
You will see there that only one attachment appears despite 5 having been selected and loaded. A green line appeared under each one to show loaded.
Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Peter

Back