Adler's Collection

Every time I look at this posting I find new things!I spent a lot of time looking at the JzP stuff. Thank you for posting them. I am also amazed by your Thuringian, and I was looking at that funky looking Busby. What caught my eye was the covering over the rosette. Do you think this could be some sort of lightweight maneuver helmet used prewar with a cover? I have never seen one from a Hussar regiment. I had never even seen a picture like this. What else do you have in your bag of tricks?? :D :D :D it is always an education to look closely at your items. You just have too many of them!

Thanks for the comments men.
@ GregM: Yes it is really hard to find, specially with the strap still attached...
@ Joe: It's a lightweight indeed, but I think it was specially made for not having to use a normal busby with a cover and so reduce the weight and the heat inside the busby...
I took some additional pictures a few minutes ago. Enjoy...

Okay Karel, this is a real interesting piece. I cannot read the maker's Mark on the liner. Is it in two words? You get to feel that it is British, and I wonder if Peter had seen this Mark on some of his British helmets? I don't recall ever seeing rosette covers like this.
Where'd you find that stuff! I am jealous. :p :p

To me it's illegeble also Joe... It stays a mistery for now. In real you can't see it better than on the pic...
Maybe time will give a solution...

Adler

Wow! Some very nice helmets Karel! Not sure how I missed this thread.

I have 2 observations though.

The first concerns your JzP helmet. It looks like an issued EM helmet with the exception of the spike and the leather underlay of the front visor.

I believe the spike to be incorrect as it's a correct officer's model. I can't see this as a Senior NCO's model as it doesn't have any of the of the other officer features that would be found on a NCO helmet such as the voided crown on the wappen or officer style screw post chinscale mounts.

Here are some foto's of my private purchase NCO parade JzP, albeit it needs some work.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Note the smooth EM style spike but voided crown.

As for you wonderful private purchase 10th Hussars busby, I have indeed seen those style chinscale mounts. If you folks recall Kube's auction no too long ago, I don't recall the date off hand, they had a cork/ersatz Dragoner's officer's model that had the same chinscale fabric covered mounts.

I have this feeling your busby was made and sold to be used with a field cover. I recall seeing but I can't remember where a foto of a officer wearing a busby with a field cover but it seemed to me that only had the mount rossette's exposed and the chinscales tucked underneath the cover.

In any event, fantastic helmets!

John

John, thanks for your comments. Concerning the JzP, I never said it is an NCO... Just private purchase. Let's say it might be a OYV, then almost everything is possible... They could order a helmet almost custom made...
I agree it's not a textbook helmet, but that makes things interesting I believe...

Adler

joerookery said:
Okay Karel, this is a real interesting piece. I cannot read the maker's Mark on the liner. Is it in two words? You get to feel that it is British, and I wonder if Peter had seen this Mark on some of his British helmets? I don't recall ever seeing rosette covers like this.
Where'd you find that stuff! I am jealous. :p :p

I think its written : Warranted Durable or something like this.
So not in german ,thats sure.

I think you're right Adler54. I've always been thinking the first was an "H" but if it's a "W" things are clear in just a second...
Warranted Durable it is... So not in german, that's sure... Anyway it's an original german busby, possibly made in England or is it just a makers mark in English, or is it tailor made in an other country than Germany?
Any idea's someone?

Adler

I think you guys are right! So the plot thickens. I sent off a note to Peter to ask him to look at this marking. This is very interesting! Maybe just the sweatband was imported? All of the other maneuver helmets I have seen were made of cork and were produced by Firma Ludwig Bortfelt --Bremen. However, there were no Busby's. :? :?

I have indeed seen those style chinscale mounts. If you folks recall Kube's auction no too long ago, I don't recall the date off hand, they had a cork/ersatz Dragoner's officer's model that had the same chinscale fabric covered mounts.

John I don't think they are exactly the same. This helmet keeps bugging me. Karel's is more fuzzy and separate.
1%20A%20Field%20Helmet%20right.jpg

maneuverhelm.jpg

Wow!! I realy feel quite stupid for having missed these postings. What a fantastic collection. Brian

Sure you can... I'll take a few better ones next week if you need them...
Here he comes..

Adler

Karel,

congratulations, very beautiful collection. Is it possible to have more pictures of the diplay with the officers helmets ?

Eric

Thank you gentlemen!
Here's another pickelhaube: It's a M86-14 Bayern Res.Off. Schwere Reiter Regt Nr. 1 and produced by Depaheg Patent...

Adler 1

Back