An Interesting FRANKINSTEIN!!!

MadMax13

So I figured you guys would get a good laugh out of this one!
Who, What ,Where ,Why ,and When?!?!?!?
IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

I think a similar thing had been advertised several times on ebay, some time ago, as an austrian spike helmet...

Yes, I inherited it from a deceased relative. Don't know much about it nor can I find any info about it. He had a note with it stating it was a rare 1914 Austro-Hungarian proto-type unissued that never when it to production.... but I find that very hard to believe. I think it was someone just having some fun experimenting. What do you think?

I don't know -- the way the front plate is attached does not look good to me. My first impression was police but who knows?

I got it a few years back. I didn't have any real good reference material. The cockades? Never have I seen those color combos before and the front plate looks to be for possibly for a shako. I don't know, would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks guys!

Looks like a stage piece to me, mainly because it looks like raw leather on the outside rather than lacquered (?). But then, I don't know.

:D Ron

Yeah I thought so too... it surely is weird. So is the inside. Its almost like some sort of ersatz material.

Also the last picture, I tried to get get a shot of the stamp. I can't make out the words its very faint... the only thing I can make out is 1914. I even BLACK LIGHTED this helmet to see if anything might show up. And nothing glows or shows signs of chemicals. :twisted:

Hey Max,
Joe was not able to ID the Wappen on your helmet, even though he has an excellent book on Austro-Hungarian uniform. Sadly he loaned the book to another member, who has not returned it.
Looking through Joe's book, I can not find a good photo of the Wappen, except in the back of the book in the section on conservation, in that photo, the FJI Wappen is shown and captioned as an artillery crest, an donly the back is shown, but it is the style with the regimental number on the tail feathers like the one on your Frankenstein.
This is not an Austrian helmet (but then you know that) and the Wappen looks like it may have had been overpainted during the war, as the colour matches the example of an over painted Wappen in Joe's book. I would bet that you can find a nice Prussian Wappen to replace the Austrian one, and the Austrian Wappen is much rarer than the one that should be on your helmet.
Best wihses
Gus

Austria-Hungary, also known as the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Dual Monarchy or k.u.k. Monarchy or Dual State, was a dual-monarchic union state in Central Europe from 1867 to 1918, dissolved at the end of World War I.

The double headed eagle is a common symbol in heraldry and vexillology. Several Eastern European nations use this symbol today, having adopted this symbol from the Byzantine Empire.

In Byzantine heraldry, the heads represent the dual sovereignty of the Emperor (secular and religious) and/or dominance of the Roman Emperors over both East and West.

The Russian tsars also adopted the symbol both to position themselves as successors to the Byzantine state and to likewise symbolize their dominion over the west (Europe) and the east (Asia). http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/uniforms5/austro-hung-badgel.jpg

The dragoon Wappen does not have the Regimental number on the tail feathers in any refference I can find.
Gus

Here's the helmet plate of the 7th Dragoons.

hpim7698.jpg

The same badge was also used by the British 1st Kings Dragoon Guards.

1stkingsdragoongds.jpg

Hey Dave,
My sources show the Wappen with the number on the shield to be Hussar or Ulan, I can not find a Dragoon Wappen with a Regimental number
On another note, I have found further refference to the Wappen with the regt number on the tail feathers as being prior to 1908, and the only place I can find it used is on the Artillery Shako, photo on page 355 of the Emperor's Coat
Best wishes
Gus

Huh?... so what the hell could it be? :twisted:
By the way thank you everyone for their time and effort! You all have been so helpful! :D

Haven't got time at the moment to attach a picture , but have look at the link for another strange looking (at least to me) Austrian picklehaube.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW1-Composite-Austrian-Pickelhaube_W0QQitemZ280472189492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item414d71fa34

Patrick

:eek: Sure is strange looking... it looks ...so ... composite ... you might say.

Cool man thanks though, I'm always intrigued by thee abnorm.

MadMax13 said:
Huh?... so what the hell could it be? :twisted:
By the way thank you everyone for their time and effort! You all have been so helpful! :D

I still say a stage / theater /costume piece. But I'd imagine trying to find a production is more difficult than finding a regiment!

:D Ron

Hi Ron, I totally respect your opinion and I agree with you. But I was wondering are you only basing it off that the leather is not lacquered? It does have some sort of thin coating on it. It is weird though. But didn't Ersatz helmets used all types of materials? I'm just curious why your so sure? Thanks Ron :)

Back