An Interesting FRANKINSTEIN!!!

I'm not sure, It looks like some sort of coating. Here are a few close ups of the flaking or crazing on the outside shell.
IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

I'm post some in a bit. It sure looks and feels to be leather or maybe a leather composite. You can see some interior close ups in the first set of pics I posted. ........."I really need to know more about this" :lol:

OK, I am going to state the obvious...that helmet plate does not belong on this piece. The plate holes have been enlarged and the plate itself is way too large. Second, is the liner dyed black on both sides? It should not be. One side dyed the other left natural. The liner looks too new to me and I do not see any stitch holes where the 2 ends of the liner overlap. These were always stitched together. Third, I am nervous about the visors themselves. The underside shots show a roughness to the leather...they should be smooth ie the hair side of the hide. Remember the rough flesh side is always on the outside on helmets so that all the little fibres collect and hold the shellac finish tight to the shell. If you sprayed shellac on the smooth hair side it would run off. I would also pull the liner tounges out and look at the stitching of the visors to the edge of the shell. There should be no abnormalities. These were machine stitched all in one pass of the machine. Third, I am suspicious of the visor trim. The side split pins look too small to me and I see the cut ends of the visor trim beyond the dome of the pins. I would check the ends of the trim for fresh cut marks. The end cuts of all original trim also have the corners cut at a 45 angle. Too my eyes, viewing the inside of the helmet, it is a leather shell. Shells are either, leather, felt, tin/steel, papier mache, felt, card board, vulcan fibre (early plastic) or cork. My 2 cents worth, Brian

Hey thanks Brian! I was waiting to hear what you'd think!

To answer Pointystuff's question:
If I had to say the outside does look like it had hair follicles, you can see all the little dots. But then again I'm no leather expert.

Back