An Uberzug with a story 100 years ago today

Hi Bruno
Suuuuperb!!!, a fantastic group of items, I wish I had Stoeber's helmet
I often wonder if the guy I got the uberzg on ebay ever had it, I did contact him but had no response.
I am an artist and hope to do a painting of Stoeber at some point.
I am off to find out more about Leutnant Albrecht regiment's movements.
Thanks so much for posting the pics
Stu
Das158er

Joe, at the bottom of the map you posted are two towns: Moussey and, eastwards, Lorchingen. About half-way between these two towns you will see Rixingen (right on the blue line!). This is it. If you cannot spot it, look for Gondrexange, slightly northwards. The woods are very close to the small city of Rixingen.
Bruno

I see it! That makes total sense. The blue line on top of the town is the boundary between six Army and seventh Army. It makes perfect sense.

Stu

Have you looked at this site? Some tidbits about the 13th infantry division.

http://www.1914-18.info/erster-weltkrieg.php?u=143&info=13.Infanterie-Division

Thanks Joe
I will babelfish it to translate. :D
I am going to post another of my uberzugs for everyones opinion
shortly.
Does anyone have tips on researching German soldiers of WW1 is there
a main archive in Germany?
Stu
Das158er

nice set of a single person.I amalway's amazed at set's of KIA that appear, the Silver trim and the center to the wappen are very attractive.
Mark

Hi All
This is an addition to my Uberzug with a story post.
I am an artist by profession and have just completed this portrait of Stoeber,
I have included the regimental number on his uberzug even though the private
Purchase one I have is sans number, I thought it added a bit of interest.
Hope you all like it
Stu- Das158er
008rn4.jpg

Thanks Jo and Mike
If anyone can help me further my reserch into Stoeber I would be very greatful,
Thanks
Stu
Das158er

HELP REQUEST :help:

I have had an email from Solre sur Sambre this morning, the place were Stoeber was Killed, I think they want to put a record of his death and
information about the regiment into there local archive/museum.
They have asked if I know if Stoeber would have been regular soldier or would have enlisted, as I am not sure how things worked back then
does anone know how I can find out?
I guess all men would have done national service, and if so are there any archives that would give me an Idea as to what Stoeber's profession
would have been if he was not a full time recrute.
Do any of you chaps at PH.COM no of the best place to write to find out more about Stoeber?

Stu Das158er

I somehow missed this when it was originally posted.

Here is a photo I have of an Infantrist from the 7.Lothringisches Infanterie Regt. Nr.158 (Paderborn, III Bn Senne, VII Armee Korps). He wears the pickelhaube & uberzug with stenciled regt. number, and a M1907/10 feldrock. He is armed with Gew 88 w/ S71 bayonet and M95 ammo pouches. You would not expect to see that from a "Regular Army" regt. He must've been a preety good shot as he wears a marksmanship lanyard.

Hi Wyliecoyote
Thanks!!!!
Superb Photo, wish I had it, I have a couple of good 158 infantry pics showing the reg no. on the uberzug, If anyone else has any 158er pics post them please!!!!, I would love to see them :D
Stu

Das158er

Hans Wilko Philipp Stoeber was born on the 12th of March 1883 in Hamburg. His parents were Dr. med. Philipp Stoeber and Gertrud née Bührmann.

He entered Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 158 as a Musketier (Fahnenjunker) on 25 April 1903. Promoted to Fähnrich on 27 January 1904 he was commissioned on 15 November 1904 with a Patent of seniority of 18.10.04 E9. Promoted to Oberleutnant with a Patent of 18.10.13 S3s.

Regards
Glenn

Thanks Glenn
Does that mean that Stoeber was a professional soldier, he had no other occupation?
Would there be an archive that might hold detailed information about his time with the 158 regiment? or is this as much information it is possible to find.
My hope is to find out as much as possible about Stoeber.
Let me know if there is any place in Germany that I can write to
Stu
Das158er

Does that mean that Stoeber was a professional soldier, he had no other occupation?

Yes. It all sounds perfectly normal with bourgeois parents. He joined the regiment normally at the age of 20 and became a Fahnenjunker. Look at the flowchart at

http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/MilitaryService_08_02.html

Just a post to mark the 100th anniversary of Hans Wilko Philipp Stoeber
of the 158 infanterie regiment who was killed today in 1914 the full story is in this original post.

Back